- Also check our best rated Children’s Book reviews
Delphie and the Magic Ballet Shoes (Magic Ballerina, Book 1) Paperback – 1 Oct 2008
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
“Don’t be surprised if your child asks for a magical pair of red ballet shoes.” Telegraph Magazine
“Delightful.” You Magazine (Mail on Sunday)
“A delight for any young reader who sees herself as a budding ballerina.” MumKnowsBest.co.uk
From the Back Cover
Delphie can't believe it when she is invited to join the new ballet school. But things aren't quite what they seem, and with the help of some very special ballet shoes, Delphie finds herself spinning into a whole new world...See all Product description
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
My 4 year old - in fact she is not quite 4, so that tells you how young she is - listened almost without breathing to the entire book in one sitting. She loved it so much. She is presently spinning around the room being the Sugar Plum Fairy in her ELC tutu.
When it arrived, I thought I'd made a mistake, as it seemed like it would be far too old for her. There are no colour pictures, only black and white, one on each page, and there are a lot of words. So I just shoved it on my bookshelf. She found it with the unerring instinct of small pink girls for sparkly things and asked to hear some of it. I thought "ah well, we'll try for a chapter" and an hour later it was still going strong.
I am astonished and surprised by how she concentrated and enjoyed it, even though it was totally different from anything else she'd ever read. As someone else observed, you could make a drinking game out of how often the girls in the book "gasp" at things, but it didn't ruin it for my girl. And that is why I bought it. So what if it was formulaic, as another reviewer observed? The formula works. My only disappointment is that now I have to find her a different birthday present... maybe Book 2?
- large print so all three children (ages 5, 7 and 9)can follow the text as I read it; also makes it so easy for my 9yr dyslexic old son to sneak the book from his sister's room to finish it in secret. Yippee, he's reading!!!! I wish more children's books were large print.... these are also quite short, so really manageable.
- the stories all include characters from ballets and it does make us all want to know more about the ballets.
- the back of each book has a well explained ballet move - my 7yr old son loves practising those.
- the stories are complex and punchy enough to keep the pages turning.
I don't like....
- some of the prose. It's a bit weak, and we have all started to snigger as the main character "gasps" yet again; similarly the characters are rather watery, but the children don't seem to mind!!
All in all a lovely set, great for reading aloud or for read alone for young readers who are just starting to gain a bit of confidence.
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Most recent customer reviews