on 8 September 2014
Not mac compatible.. Clearly misleading claims about mac compatibility in the product description. Only works with older versions of MacOS (10.6 being the last OS this reader actually worked with) - Manufacturer seems to be blaming Apple in their response to my email to their support team but still they have a misleading mac logo on their packaging. No firmware update available for anything beyond OSX Snow leapord (10.6) which is now 4 years old and has been replaced by 3 subsequent OS releases. The worst case of deliberate misleading product description you could possibly get. And make no mistake, this IS deliberate and this company cannot be trusted. Manufacturer has no plans to fix this problem. In their own words, when I contacted their support "For this problem is no solution available."
on 9 November 2011
Advertised as being able to use with Mac OSX, while it will work with Snow Leopard and below it will not work with OSX Lion. I was offered a firmware update but this is only compatible with Windows machines... In all, for my needs - rubbish.......
on 29 September 2012
There is a big clear Apple Mac software symbol on the packaging....but it's a lie !
Early versions of this card reader will NOT work with MAC OSX 10.7 unless you carry out a Firmware upgrade via a download. However, the download is only available in Windows format and the down load operation requires a PC with a Firewire 800 port.
How many MAC owners also have a PC ? Turns out mine is an early version with old firmware but you can only find out once you purchase and then try various cards in it. It should NOT have a MAC friendly logo on the box.
The support centre at DeLock don't want to know about this. I would return mine to Amazon straight away but as I no longer have the box, I'm stuffed. Do an internet search about the DeLock MAC problem, a lot of Apple owners left with an expensive card reader they can't use.
on 8 May 2012
Small in size but sturdy construction with an aluminium body. The cable is high quality with metal connectors unlike those in the photo. Good strong connection. With a Sandisk 60MB/s UDMA card I transferred 6.11gb in 90 seconds, plenty fast enough.
on 1 January 2012
This is a great product. Would recommend to anyone. Item arrived the day after i ordered it from Aimtech. Transfers a sandisk extreme 3 60mbps cf card at 60 mbps second couldnt ask for anything better. Build quality 4/5, the fw800 connection is sturdy unlike those Lacie rugged drives! Good price too. Thanks. Allround 4.8/5 :)
on 30 September 2014
I have had this reader for several years and it has been working perfectly.
Just needs to be kept/stored in a dust free environment as the slot entry for the card is quite big and not protected.
I am on mac 10.6.8. I am not sure why some people say its a con.
on 18 July 2012
This isn't the smallest reader in the world considering it only reads CF cards. But, it is quick. Very quick. Compared to my USB 2.0 reader it's about 6 times quicker so if you're dumping a load of images (as you've been lazy and haven't done so for a while) then this will save you a load of time. I have a 5D mk II and the RAW files are about 25Mb each, so the file sizes quickly add up from a photo shoot.

Unfortunately this item is left at home on my MacBook Pro as my 11" MacBook Air (which I use when travelling) doesn't have a FW port. Maybe I can find a Thunderbolt > FW cable somewhere though... However, that's not this device's fault. :-)

Recommended if you want fast file transfers.
on 2 October 2012
I'm changing my review of this product. The first one I received did not work properly but the seller sent me a replacement very quickly ( thank you, Gordon from Aimtec ) and it works well. Speedy with my Sandisk cards and just the job for transferring lots of images if you have a Mac with no USB3 port. A tad pricey for a card reader but there's not a lot of firewire readers out there and Aimtec's price was the cheapest I could find so full marks to them for being competitive.
on 1 June 2013
If you can find one of these for sale snap it up. If you need to move large files from a large CF card this is the way to go if you have firewire.

Mine has been used in the field to backup huge broadcast video files onto a MacBook Pro and portable firewire drives. It's never let me down, it's fast, light but well made with a partly metal construction.

I do hope DeLOCK make a Thunderbolt version for my next laptop upgrade, I won't hesitate to buy one.
on 5 March 2012
Nice card reader. Much quicker than USB. Finally got proper file transfer on Mac os lion. Now takes less than 8 min to transfer 8gig of images from card.