on 12 March 2014
I bought this Laptop although dearer and slower than some because the O/S was Windows 7
I have no wish to go on yet another learning curve with Windows 8
Also Windows 7 is compatible with my software (Office Pro 2003 in particular) which Windows 8 isn't
In any case I dislike Microsoft's pricing structure for software for Windows 8 - Rental/Annual fees
This Laptop also has a DVD/CD RW player - far more useful than a memory stick for ripping my CDs.
It has many useful features, such as camera & microphone. My only criticism is that a Battery life of 4 hours max is a bit short.
All in all, for anyone who has similar requirements to mine, I would thoroughly recommend this Laptop.
VINE VOICEon 1 June 2014
We needed a new laptop to project PowerPoint via a projector.

We obviously didn't want anything running Windows 8 - the team of users (a dozen of us) were unanimous in that.

While the majority preference was for a MacBook, the budget didn't allow that level of quality.

So we researched Windows 7 laptops and this Dell came up as best. Setting it up was a breeze and it works great (pity PowerPoint 2013 has changed so much and doesn't really suit how we jump across slides - looking at moving to Prezi as a result).

But this is one decent and swift laptop at a decent price.
TOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 25 March 2014
My old computer died, and I looked at all the reviews on-line and asked friends for recommendations. I need the computer for basic computer work, so the Dell Inspiron 15.6 Laptop was my choice. I have had Dell laptops in the past, and I was satisfied with them.

This does not look like a thrifty laptop, it is an attractive black with what feels like scales on the lid. It is lightweight at 5.1 pounds and measures 1 inch in height, very easy to carry. The screen is large and there is little if any glare. The keyboard is fine and easy to use. There are two USB 3.0 ports and two USB 2.0 ports. Other ports include an HDMI video output, a LAN port, and a headphone jack. There's an 8-in-1 card reader on the front edge and a 1-Megapixel webcam embedded in the display's upper level. It came with Windows 8 preloaded, and I have had no difficulty with navigation. It also came with a multitude of apps to choose from. I use the Kindle and a few others. The rest are non-starters for me. McAffee came with a trial version which I rejected, and there is a one year limited warranty. The battery is said to last 8 hours. I have not had a chance to test how long the battery does last.

I am very pleased with this computer, it is what I need, no big frills, no complicated software. I have a very useful 15 inch laptop at a great price. I noted on my research that PC Magazine gave this Dell is budget laptop of the year prize.

Recommended. prisrob 03-25-14
22 Comments| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 December 2013
Fast speed of operation. Light in weight for it's size.Accesses the internet at quite a fast speed. I like it.
on 10 November 2013
Very good laptop however I switched it on one morning to find windows wouldn't load and the hard drive has died/cannot be recovered.
I bought this at the end of July last year, so only had it 16 months.
on 28 October 2013
Pleased it had Windows 7 installed...didn't want windows 8, and the laptop itself is light and neat and seems to respond pretty quickly
on 19 February 2014
I will begin by stating mine was not purchased through Amazon but ordered directly from Dell on recommendation. It is quite cheap looking for the price and has proved to be troublesome, firstly the F1 and F2 keys have different functions to other laptops and is an irritation to say the least, secondly tiny flies manage to get behind the glass screen, with one still glued there to this day, has always been slow to respond and the keyboard packed up after 12 months. There are no children using it just myself and husband so keyboard does not get a battering in fact we are light users. It was fixed 3 or 4 months ago and is now showing signs of failure again. All in all it has been a disastrous purchase and when funds allow will be changing to another Acer, probably, as last one gave up after 8 years!
on 5 May 2014
The laptop arrived within the scheduled time and has proved very successful in bridging the leap from XP to 8(or 7 built in the system).It is encouraging to know that if and when Windows 7 is removed there is the capacity to switch to 8.

Only snag is that there was no certificate with the laptop which my Computer Expert says is necessary although you have advised me that it is included somewhere within the laptop.
on 7 October 2013
We like the computer but have had two technical problems during the first year. It was sent back to Dell & had a new motherboard fitted then it broke again & they sent someone out to repair it at home. Not quite sure why that didn't happen first time around as we were left for over a week with no computer!
on 26 December 2013
This laptop looks good and works very well. It was very easy easy to set up. It has a surprisingly slim profile.