Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Steps Shop Women's Shop Men's
Customer Discussions > Nineteen Eighty-Four forum

Definitive book of the 20th century?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Jun 2007, 16:36:21 BST
Hello Amazon Customers!

Guardian voted this title as THE definitive book of the 20th century! Here at Amazon we ran a similar vote and it topped our poll too:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html?docId=1000064383

What are your thoughts? Is this really the book that best defines the 20th century or do you have your own suggestion?

We'd love to hear what you think!

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jul 2009, 03:54:04 BST
Last edited by the author on 13 Jul 2009, 17:07:51 BST
S Wood says:
1984 is a mediocre book, that would have never have reached the heights of popularity it did reach if it wasnt so useful for cold-war propaganda purposes. Orwells "Homage to Catalonia" is his best book.

I dont think any single book can define the 20th Century- its a slightly silly idea that any one could.

Posted on 22 Jun 2010, 10:38:19 BST
Rabana says:
thats an interesting observation and one that I'm inclined to agree with though I wouldn't go so far as to call it mediocre. Orwell was a much greater essayist than he was a novellist. On a similar theme I consider Arthur Koestler's Darkness At Noon to be a superior book.

Posted on 12 Oct 2010, 19:54:53 BST
D. Harris says:
I think that of Orwell's most famous two books, Animal Farm is better than Nineteen Eighty-Four. But the latter is still very good, and it's easy to see why it got its reputation - in a sense he's simply pouring into the book all that he had been exploring for 10 years before in his essays. And then, of course, he died soon after - which both creates a tragic legend and helpfully prevents him objecting to others' use of his stuff for their own propaganda (irony of ironies!)

Posted on 5 Dec 2011, 22:12:09 GMT
1984 and Animal Farm are both Cold War propaganda.
Orwell is compulsory reading for our children not because he was a good novelist (he wasn't) or a good essayist but because he was a fanatical anti-communist.

Posted on 25 Jan 2012, 02:10:02 GMT
S. R. Tulip says:
I agree it's mediocre but it probably is the most important novel of C20th because it illustrates the impact of the mass media and, with respect, to miss that point, suggests you accept the world as presented by the media as natural, normal, inevitable, common sense and all the other ideological type words.
Orwell thought Homage to Catalonia his best work but it was even more mediocre. Animal Farm is much better than both.
I have a work colleague who believes in Brave New World. He avoids prescription drugs and thinks that anyone who has ever taken one is brainwashed, while he believes everything the TV tells him.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  19 Jun 2007
Latest post:  25 Jan 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

This discussion is about
Nineteen Eighty-Four
Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (Paperback - 1983)
4.6 out of 5 stars (1,446)