Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 April 2014
This review contains spoilers please do not continue if you want to read them

**SPOILERS**
It seems to me that Laurence is running out of ideas here.
So we are talking a woman now who is 24 years old
Has 2 Medals of Freedom
Credited for the introduction of Earth Altering Technology
Credited for stopping a War between America and China
Credited for Saving the World from a Comet

Yet still is told she is completely underestimated by her opponents and especially by elements of the scientific community.

So in this book the new President before being elected swore at someone with a different opinion than her that was picked up and filmed yet somehow was elected ?

The last time something similar to that was the British General Elections when then Prime minister forgot he was wearing a microphone and said something slightly nasty against an old lady (not swore at by the way) that lost him the election.

Who for reasons not fully explained takes a personal dislike to Ell (although I can agree her policy has some merit that the technology introduced is happening too fast) she decides she doesn't like her

Who a president who imprisons her without trial

A president who surrounds herself with idiots

Now I like a good sci fi novel, I have the previous 8 books after all, but this one just seems to me a book where Laurence has run out of Plot ideas. Ell is no longer a little girl an no politician would risk losing so much public opinion, at the least not how the new President did it.

I really hope these book improve but I'm starting to think they have run there course.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 February 2014
These comments aren’t just about this book, but are really about the whole ‘Ell Donsaii’ series.

I absolutely love these books, they are ‘old fashion’ FUN SiFi. If you want your SiFi to be dark and full of introspective angst then don’t read these books.

If I have any criticism, it would be that the heroine ‘Ell” is a bit too sweet and perhaps aimed a bit too much at the YA audience (don’t let the YA put you off). If I was the author I would allow Ell to be a little more ‘Bad Girl’ (Maybe even bisexual, but that might be going a bit far)
on 26 November 2013
Ell has really got a whole stream of troubles pointed at her by Mr. Dahners in this book. I loved it. So much that I read it twice in one day! It has occupied me in imagining all sorts of solutions to each strand, plus wondering where the graphend tech plot point is going. How are the political shenanigans going to be resolved and with what kind of fallout? Another real question for me is how is the rest of the world reacting to quasi legal actions of the US politicians. Really entertaining and I can't wait for the next installment.
on 14 August 2014
I read all 11 novels in less than 2 weeks. So there must be something there but I just don't know what it is. It kind of like candy floss. I eat it enjoy it but its empty calories. There are really addictive. They have result in me having to drink lot of coffee to stay awake at work enough said.
on 27 January 2014
Dammit, this is #9 and I am still hooked on the story line! This story about an improbably likeable but brilliant heroine and an interesting scientific hypothesis has me firmly attached despite a number of improbabilities in the story line.

With my disbelief safely suspended, I anxiously look forward to the next.
on 18 December 2013
Even heroines have problems, this is the low point, the sequels will doubtless swing back to the highs. As always an exploration of the near future.
on 1 December 2013
I love this book. Ell is in trouble and we get to see how she prepares for it. I love it when people underestimate Ell.. they always regret it.
on 29 January 2014
Another good story line from Mr Dahners. I am waiting for the next one. Hopefully not to long. Keep them coming please.
on 4 January 2014
i loved this book when ell's plans unfolds and she escapes the is just great i am really hoping for the next book