- Save 10% on Books for Schools offered by Amazon.co.uk when you purchase 10 or more of the same book. Here's how (terms and conditions apply) Enter code SCHOOLS2016 at checkout. Here's how (terms and conditions apply)
In Defense of Dolphins: The New Moral Frontier (Blackwell Public Philosophy Series) Paperback – 13 Jul 2007
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"Everyone who is interested in Cetaceans and respects them has to read this book." (Mammalia, 2011)
"An interesting read which raises some important issues regarding the way we view other species … [A] thought–provoking book." (Animal Welfare, May 2008)
“White is a distinguished, well–published philosopher…His book is clearly written, carefully reasoned, and easily read. Summing Up: Highly recommended.” (Choice)
"Thought–provoking … very readable and well laid out … (White) raises some important issues regarding the way we view other species." (Universities Federation for Animal Welfare)
"Tom White′s book is a superb intellectual achievement. It combines mastery of the scientific evidence together with acute ethical analysis. It is a seminal contribution to the literature on animal ethics."
– Andrew Linzey, Director of the Oxford Centre for Animal Ethics
"Thomas White does the research and brings the evidence for psychological complexity in dolphins to his readers in a compelling manner. Amidst the ongoing worldwide exploitation of dolphins in drive hunts and captivity he challenges all of us to rethink how we treat these beings. This wonderful and important book could not have come at a better time."
–Lori Marino, Emory University
"In Defense of Dolphins is a much needed look at the current status of ethics and treatment of dolphins in a variety of conditions. Dr. White reviews current research to argue that we should reanalyze and reconsider some of the treatment issues around dolphins and human activity. As research and education strives to improve our world and our treatment of the inhabitants in it, so does this extensive exploration of the issues around another intelligent species."
–Denise Herzing, Wild Dolphin Project
"‘Alien intelligence’ or ‘nonhuman person’, or...? You will never think about dolphins the same way after reading this insightful and thought–provoking new book."
–Jerry R. Schubel, President and CEO, Aquarium of the Pacific
"In Defense of Dolphins is the most important book ever written about these animals.
This is a book that has been crying out to be produced, but one that could only be properly written now. Professor White has carefully, indeed painstakingly, taken the latest scientific research and used it to address the key questions that make the case for dolphinkind to be given ′moral standing′ or ′rights′. His case is compelling and the book is both fascinating as an exercise in the systematic distillation of information, as well as its status as the key document that makes a case for the better treatment of dolphins. It is also highly readable and rich with remarkable insights into dolphin intelligence and behaviour."
–Mark Simmonds, International Director of Science, WDCS, the Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Tom takes us through both the science and the philosophical underpinning of the arguments of why dolphins deserve their own rights. He does not claim they should have human rights as some mistakenly claim of him, but he calls for specific 'dolphin rights'.
Here is an inspiring book that takes the issue of whale and dolphin rights forward on a firm foundation and should be read by all those seeking to understand the worlds oceans and their inhabitants, as well as those who want to understand us humans in a new and revealing light.
Very scientific so if that doesn't grab you then choose something a little less technical. But for me was great!
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Performing Arts
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences > Animal Rights
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences > Habitats
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences > Marine Life
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Hydrobiology
- Books > Science & Nature > Environment & Ecology
- Books > Science & Nature > Nature > Wild Animals > Aquatic Creatures
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Biology
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Environment
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Philosophy