Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.99

on 29 August 2017
I was completely taken aback by this book – it was not what I expected. I had anticipated a Young Adult novel featuring identical twin girls, with all the opportunities for confusion that could bring. Instead, I found myself reading an historical novel, but set in what is, for me, the recent past, because it was around the time of my own birth. That fact alone caught my attention as I realised I could be the contemporary of the young children in the story.
Nor was the book really about twins. Instead it was about one twin and her interaction with all the other inhabitants of the valley, and of a way of life about to be lost forever. And it was so sad.
Towards the end there were happy moments too. Happiness and sadness intertwined. Deep Secret is one of the most emotionally-charged books I have read in a long time, and I thoroughly recommend it.
on 24 February 2008
This is a book about two twins called Maddy and Grace who are about 14.
Shortly after the book starts tradgedy strikes and the pair is down to one. The remaining girl blames herself for the accident and decides to become her sister to give her a life. This story has love, grief, anger, and hope interwoven the whole way through.
on 10 November 2010
Initially I found this difficult to get in to as I found the characters and their relationships confusing, but once the story unfolded I was hooked, particularly towards the end when I want conclusions. There are several secrets to unravel and be told, as the valley is laid bare ready for a new reservoir. More a series of love stories and relationships than much about the actual drowning of the valley, and how much of that is actual fact is also not clear as Berlie researched the topic before writing. Will appeal more to girls as the main character is a girl.
on 3 April 2011
The book is set in the past, in a village where many characters work at the Manor. It is a journey that two twins take through life, when one is cut short.
I liked this book alot because it explains how one would feel if someone close to them died. It also shows how people can get over the death and have fun remebering the person. I wouldn't recommend this book to young readers or boys because it is a girly book. I think it is written for teenagers but from 12 year olds can appreciate it.
on 17 April 2013
I read this book about..... 6years ago... after borrowing if from the library and absolutely fell in love with it. I live relevtively local to Landybower reservoir but don't often get to visit. But a recent trip renewed my interest in finding out more about the lost villages and I remembered this nook and how much I enjoyed it! Although the story is a fictional adaptation on real life events its fascinating and though provoking. Just as fantastic second time round!!!
on 25 May 2014
Very interesting beginning, but it lost context after Grace dies. It was a very mysterious book and I enjoyed it alot
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 June 2016
Not happy that being an prime customer, i have to pay post to return the goods..
on 17 December 2013
have time to write such long reviews especially when I have bought lots of stuff at christmas time! Why can't a simple 5 star rating be enough. I think this review lay-out design is very pushy and I find it uncomfortable and tiresome to use. Spoils the whole shopping experience with Amazon.