Deep Field: Dispatches from the frontlines of aid relief: from Pakistan to Kazan, the Punjab to the Pacific Paperback – 21 May 2014
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
Tom Bamforth is an Australian professional humanitarian aid worker who has worked in many of the hot spots of the world, including Sudan and Pakistan/Afghanistan and has dealt with the humanitarian catastrophes caused by both war and natural disasters. Tom has written widely on humanitarian topics for The Age, Arena, Granta as well as academic journals. His academic work has been used by the UN, UK Parliament, US Council for Foreign Relations. Via his field work he has worked with a range of media including ABC, BBC, CNN, and The Guardian.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
The dispassionate way he writes of tragedy, both natural and man-made, makes the telling all the more graphic.
The author devoted his life to aid-working more or less by chance. He was holidaying in north-west Pakistan on an archaeological tour when an earthquake in Kashmir killed more than 80,000 and left three million homeless. The holiday ended abruptly when he joined the Norwegian Refugee Council’s rescue and reconstruction team.
Thence it was to Africa and the horrors of civil war and close encounters with terrorists in Darfur.
The Pacific provided a different set of crises, every bit as pressing.
Deep Field reveals some of the harsh realities of some of the less privileged parts of the world. It’s informative without being depressing. An absorbing read.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Medical, Legal & Social Sciences > Philosophy
- Books > Biography > Social & Health Issues
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Government & Politics > Countries & Regions > South East Asia
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Warfare & Defence