on 28 July 2013
I found this an entertaining and evidently a very honest mini autobiographical account of the life of a person who was about as indoctrinated as was possible to be, and who almost perpetuated the family delusion, but eventually escaped the theological trap. Good book. Well written and makes very good sense.
on 30 May 2013
To find yourself aware that everything you've built your life upon is a fabrication is gut wrenching, traumatic, and life changing. I commend this book to anybody who has walked this road, or whom is walking it now.
on 5 February 2014
I haven't given this book 5 stars because of writing style or prose. I have judged it according to its level of honesty and clarity and the fact that apart from being American his story reflects some of my own. I think this book will be of interest to anyone who has counted themselves as religious but has struggled with the act of turning ones brain off to do so. If you've never been involved with religion you may not relate to the journey he describes but it will give you a quick insight into why some people need to work at getting rid of mainstream religious indoctrination.
on 7 April 2013
I really like and admire Seth Andrews. I've listened to all of his podcasts and watched almost all of his videos and speeches (often more than once, I may add). He's a seemingly very friendly guy who is easy to get on with and connect to as well as being able to tell a story and convey an important message very easily.

The book is pretty much an extension of all of this work. His story is very easy to read, flows very easily and like in his radio show he is a seemingly likeable person that cares about other people very much. This being a book about a deconversion from Christianity he also includes many basic critiques of many aspects of his former faith (critique of the scripture within the bible in particular seems to be his specialty) and there's a chapter at the end with quick responses to debunk common religious arguments (with links to additional sources in some cases). It's not on the standards of a Dawkins, Hitchens, etc. but then Andrews hasn't and doesn't claim to do that.

My only problem with it was that I already knew the story too well (perhaps it was naive of me to think I otherwise wouldn't) and so while I really enjoyed reading it again (much like I'd happily watch one of my favourite films again) I really don't feel that I can give it a 5 star rating with this in mind.

Overall I feel it would be more compelling to someone who is relatively new to his work. Still well worth a read if you're not though.
on 11 June 2013
As a person who was never born into a religious family, or raised religious, this was a fascinating insight into just that, and then in the latter part, a life long believer, beginning to struggle, and question to dogma of which he was raised in.
on 20 December 2012
This book should be staple reading for anyone who is looking for the truth away from religion. Seth's style is easy, accessible and honest. Seth charts his life in a warm conversational way, he is approachable just as he is in his Thinking Atheist Podcast, he is self deprocating but the lines pack a punch. This is never going to win a Booker Prize but if you want to educate yourself in the truth about religion and how to overcome its strictures then this is a must. Read this before you get into Dawkins and Hitchens and you will receive no better introduction. First class.
on 18 December 2012
Written in the easily accessible, conversational style that characterises his podcast, this book is Seth Andrews doing what he does best: telling a good story. He is honest and uncompromising in his search for truth, yet at the same time friendly and engaging. Anyone who is a fan of The Thinking Atheist or who is doubting their religious beliefs should buy this book and learn a bit more about what makes Seth tick.
on 16 January 2013
I'm a fan of Seth Andrews' podcast The Thinking Atheist, and decided to buy a Kindle edition of his book Deconverted (thru Amazon.com as Amazon.co.uk doesn't sell Kindle books to Finland for some reason). The beginning of the book, where he writes about his upbringing and job as a Christian radio personality, was very interesting, even though Seth had covered almost all of it in his podcast. Still, he had something to add to his journey from religion to reality, and he made numerous good points and gave new perspectives into the topic of leaving a religion.

Seth is nowhere near the level of such atheist luminaries as Hitchens, nor does he pretend to be there. Still, he's on the right track and I look forward to reading more from him. In one chapter of Deconverted, Seth spends too much time describing his YouTube videos in detail and the number of podcast downloads and YouTube views. I also got tired of coming across such terms as "online community" more than once. Instead of describing in minute detail his entry into the podcast world, or in the last chapter responding to an odd assortment of tired and worn-out claims as "Hitler was an atheist" (haven't these been beaten to death already?), he could have spent more time talking about leaving Christianity and embracing reality. That's why I reserve five stars to writers like Hitchens.
on 13 March 2013
Well written and with a light touch. Seth Andrews details his hard and courageous climb out of his indoctrination. I could have finished this easy to read book in one go but, with difficulty, made it last a week.

It is so easy to be intolerant and unsympathetic with believers and I am guilty of this. The puerile illogicality of religion also makes it easy to condemn but this book tells a sympathetic story from the inside. We all know that the brainwashed are entirely unaware of their brainwashing but I now have some understanding and empathy. Reading this book has made me a better person.
on 30 October 2015
I could not find any de-programming material worthy of the name, i.e. which could be used as a pattern or steps to actually help somebody to clean the mind from the conscious and unconscious shackles set in by religious brainwashing.

I have also issues with accepting this book as Cover Page claim to be a “journey from religion to reason;” unfortunately I have found there neither sound critique of Christian Theology nor new references to solid intellectual and rational claims presented by more refined philosophers, including those representing atheistic position.

I summary, I regret spending my money on this book… and when trying to find some rationalization to make related loss less painful, I realized that maybe reading it gave me a good opportunity to see how writing a book can augment web page marketing material.
In closing - it seems that what has actually happened here was business diversification rather than de-programming. It is such a shame that some atheism preaching oriented businesses cannot survive without securing their survival through fighting a straw man constricted by a caricature of religion.