on 31 January 2016
Having recently discovered this author I have read a number of his books in quick succession. I enjoyed this book despite the subject matter, rats! I can see why this particular book has had mixed reviews. The storyline, as always, is good...but there is a slight disconnect within the storyline that the other books don't have. It perhaps doesn't run fluidly but rather seems to jump start in places. Overall, I'd recommend the book. It starts well, there are some likeable characters but perhaps don't expect quite as much as others in the series.
on 14 February 2012
Having recently read The Lazarus Strain and given that a positive and high praising review, I looked forward to settling down with this novel with great eagerness. However, it fell far short of his other work. The lead characters underwent pointless page filling activities. Supposedly it seems taking an age to understand the source of a personal threat, a supposedly intelligent and lateral thinking person failed to make a connection when faced with a close family member's welfare. Despite having been subject to a serious threat himself. The actions of the bad guys were pointless, excessive, totally unbelievable and made the tale extremely hard to take seriously. Far from wanting to not put the book down, I couldn't wait for it to end so I could go and find something better to read.
Sorry to say this tale was a big let-down. No matter how much of a conspiracy theorist you are, believing that murder would be used to cover up such a flimsy one day headline `scandal' by our leaders, really is a bit hard to swallow. I am so glad I read `Lazarus' first. Leave this one on the shelf and find another of his works.
on 20 March 2017
I don't know what to make of this author, he is obviously an intelligent man but this book is at least 100 pages too long and his writing falls short of the rave reviews he gets. WARNING PLOT SPOILERS!! The plot is over the top, silly and totally confused. You have a vet who has lived through the BSE crisis but fails to spot symptoms in a dog or take a blood sample even after several visits. Everyone seems to be ex Special Forces (yawn here we go again). The dithering and amount of backwards and forwarding of the main character, who is supposed be a highly intelligent doctor drove me mad (like the rats). On top of this the author seemed to keep forgetting what his characters were doing. For example after seeing a manic dog and the body of the unfortunate vet in the barn Dr Dunbar sends the farm hand off to find weapons, he comes back with a fork and a spade. The Doctor takes the fork but when they enter the barn suddenly the farm hand has it, then in an attempt to keep the farm hand safe from the dog our hero has it again, after the farm hand is injured and escapes Dunbar kills the dog with the fork and spade. Coming out of the barn Dunbar is relieved that his gun is still in it's strap. WHY DIDN'T HE JUST SHOOT THE DOG!! In frustration I skipped to the end of the book only to read that our errant farmer had been selling the contaminated feed to others yet somehow no cattle or other livestock on other farms seemed to have turned homicidal, just the rats and the dog. Sorry this is the sort of lazy writing that annoys me with no apparent final read trough before being marketed.
on 8 March 2012
This was my second Ken McClure novel (first being 'The Anvil') and I'm still somewhat disappointed. The writing has definitely improved with much better plotting and characterisation than in the earlier novel, and with a much more fluid narrative. The theme is topical and the book does seem well-researched, and I suppose you could describe it a 'page turner' as it is fast-moving.

The book really needs some input from a good editor though. Why doesn't someone tell Mr McClure about the corrrect use of commas? Here are a few annoying examples, picked at random:

- Agrigene's licence ran until the year, 2003.
- "But how will that benefit, Childs and Leadbetter?"
- Steven and the women, were forced to retreat into the barn again.
- His gun would be of little use against the bulldozer, he'd noticed in the yard.

Grrrr!!! These misplaced commas really do interrupt the flow of the sentence. Please stop!
on 25 August 2014
This is only the second book I have read from this author and after really enjoying the first one, Donor, I was eager to read the second in the series. Suffice to say I was a bit disappointed. Deception seemed far fetched and over the top at some points of the story and slow in others. Also the second half of the book needs proper proof reading as there were lots of instances where it stated one character did this or said that and it was actually a different character doing it and the names were muddled up.

Having said that I am not giving up on Ken McClure books as feel Deception is probably in the minority and I have already purchased the third in the series.

We shall see . . . . .
on 26 February 2012
Once again, Ken McClure has come up with another scary but all too plausible medical conspiracy thriller. For me, it is that plausibility that sets him aside from other medical thriller writers (plus I prefer my reads to be UK based). I don't think this one was quite up to the level of his really good ones like The Lazarus Strain and Hypocrite's Isle but an excellent read nonetheless, complete with his trademark 'Not all lived happily ever after' ending.
on 18 March 2017
Outstanding I couldn't put this book down. Love love ken McClure books
on 31 July 2015
Very good read. A pity that at times I could predict what he was going to do .
on 1 August 2016
A great read. Well written and kept me turning pages. Loved it.
on 5 February 2016
Disappointing. I have read most of the series and this is definitely not one of the best. Ponderous.