Customer reviews

Death and Restoration
Format: Paperback|Change

on 31 August 2001
The author's obvious interest in art makes for an exciting twist on the ordinary crime story, and his beautiful descriptive use of Rome makes the perfect setting. As the plot unfolds inside a Roman monastary the pace is maintained and the twists are numerous. Based around the theft of a painting, the Roman Art Theft Squad and the valiant attempts of a British art historian to assist, weave together the modern crime with far from predictable motivations, and Rome's extensive history. For a crime novel this is enjoyable stuff, not the best of the series, but very readable - a perfect way to pass the afternoons of a British summer.
on 7 December 2000
This is my third Pears, and I preferred the previous two. I felt "Death and Restoration: contained some dangling ends and incongruous bits, but to go into too much detail might give away too much story. In the end everything fits, but I felt that someone had used sandpaper on my suspended disbelief.
on 7 February 2014
Entertaining book, I like art so I enjoyed reading an enquery that talk about paintings and the restoration world. I suppose it similar to the Da Vincy Code but woman's predjudice.... I enjoy the fact that the investigator is a woman for a change !
on 12 April 2013
It's a good story, with good characterisation. The plot is easy to follow, so it is a perfect beach book.
on 22 June 2010
I have only just come across this author and have only read this book but couldnt put it down.