VINE VOICEon 25 September 2013
I was watching the race on TV when Ayrton Senna had his fatal crash and remember it clearly. This book isn't the story of the crash and the death of surely the greatest racing driver of all time, but is a portrait of his life in motor racing, focusing on his final few seasons. It's a short book, not overly technical in its detail, and is accessible to those with only a passing interest in the sport. It's also genuinely exciting in places, the pages flying by.

It's not an entirely flattering portrayal of the man, and doesn't skip his shortcomings on and off the track, or those of some of the other drivers at the time. Senna's accident is described, as is the investigation into the cause of the crash, but as I said at the start, the book is misleadingly titled - it is more a portrait of the man rather than his demise.

A fascinating read, and a great tribute to the great man.
on 28 January 2013
This is a wonderful book about Senna. It brilliantly analyses Senna's tantalisingly fascinating character, with the emphasis very strongly on his driving, and achievements as a sportsman. There are many wise and perceptive comments on the world of Formula One, with insights into many of the other characters that people the paddock, including engineers and fixers; and the cars too.

I immediately bought and devoured Williams' "Racers": equally good, and in some ways even cleverer. It sheds so much light on so many aspects of Formula One through the prism of a single year.

I knew very little about Formula One, but bought the Senna book after catching up this Christmas with the excellent 2011 movie, recommended on the strength of its qualities as a movie as much as its subject matter. Williams' knowledge and passion, as well as his beautiful writing style may have turned me into a devotee of the sport as a whole. I shall see as the new season unfolds
on 30 December 2013
Of all the books I have read about Senna's life and death this one is the best. It is well written, researched and really hits home. I couldn't put it down, it made me emotional, but then everything about Senna's life does. Well worth reading.
One person found this helpful
on 11 November 2014
Interesting and arresting, do not be put off by the title. If you are a motorport fan then you will be informed and interested by this version of the Senna story. Pretty moving in parts too.
on 23 January 2012
As other reviewers have observed, this is an accessible and engaging read. It is a fairly short book so doesn't delve perhaps as deeply as other Senna biographies but still manages to paint the image of the man. In particular, Williams' first chapter description of Sao Paulo in May 1994 is an extremely moving piece of writing.
on 12 February 2013
I have taken an interest into what can only be described as the ultimate F1 driver, i remember watching Senna for the first and last time on that fateful day. I brought this as i had watched Senna and I needed to know more about him and his life. This book is well written and thankfully does not go to much into his death but more charts what happened afterwards and his career in racing. The only downside is that the book is too short. For that reason I have given it 3 stars.
on 26 November 2014
A good read.. I never used to like him when he was racing, being a Mansell fan, but as I've learned about him I have massive respect.
on 19 June 2014
A remarkable man's story told clearly and factually...well done. Takes in much of his career and clearly enumerates his attitudes and goals.
on 22 April 2016
Very interesting book for all F1 fans. Richard Williams is one of the best sports journalists in the business. This is a fascinating look at F1 in the 90's, and offers us an insight into what drove Senna up to that fateful day
on 10 September 2015
Biased, idiotic and self serving. Grated with me the ignorance of Senna's flaws. Tried to justify Senna's frequent awful on track behaviour as just a tactic.
I wanted an impartial account. This is not it.