on 14 November 2015
Although a Puffin book because it is marketed as teenage fiction, Dear Nobody is a lot more grown up than much of the juvenile nonsense that passes for adult fiction these days. The only reason I can see that it is pigeon-holed as a teenage fiction is that the two main characters are 18-year-olds — nothing else. The story is beautifully told, the characters well-rounded, and their emotional life made real. It tells of family, inheritance, and growing up. There is an attention to detail in the story-telling that places you there as a reader: like the description of the grandfather’s bonfire and the toad, followed by the imagery of the bits of privet that her grandfather tidies up, looking like a bridal bouquet.
I love the way the novel has aged — taking you back to a time when teenagers had to conduct romances in whispered voices from telephones in the hall or from public phone boxes. None of you’re Skyping and instant-messaging back then.
I thought there was a bit of a missed opportunity to really tied the book to Sheffield — particularly in the character of the grandfather who only lets slip and occasional “ay” and “reckon” and a single “nowt”. It is a shame, but perhaps it is not regarded as doing a book many favours in its marketability to tie it too closely to a region.
One small annoyance was the creeping in of errors in the Kindle version: probably errors of setting up the e-book file and not checking it properly. Not what you expect from Penguin.
1 of 34 Sheffield novels reviewed at: http://stevek1889.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/sheffield-novels.html
on 5 September 2013
I Just bought this book for my daughter for christmas. It is a nice little fiction book that can easy be put into a handbag and taken with you if you wanted to read it somewhere. My daughter loved this fiction book. What she liked about the story is that it from two peoples point of view being Helen and Chris. Helen gets pregnant and writes letters to her unborn baby calling it Nobody. I have more book reviews on ireadnovels.wordpress.com
on 22 September 2017
This is such a poignant tale as soon as I started it I just wanted to read more ! One of those books you just want to keep on reading but don:t want to end.
on 31 December 2012
I am 26 years old and I read this book for the first time when I was in Primary school. And i fell in love with it. Every couple of years I get an urge to read it again. Before now I have always managed to find it in the local library but this time I thought I would just get myself a copy and then i can read it whenever I like.

It is a lovely story about two youngsters that fall in love and then get preganant. They are both supposed to be going off to university and the pregnancy changes everything. It is an easy read and I can now read it in one day I have read it that many times.
on 13 June 2016
Good
|0Comment|Report abuse
on 15 September 2016
Satisfied
on 29 December 2013
Over all I'd say the book was great, kept me wanting to read more in suspense. I'm not going to spoil the ending but I do feel it stopped abruptly and I would of liked to have read more as there was multiple loose ends I wanted tied up.
on 18 June 2015
A very good book.
on 6 January 2013
This book is definitely 5 stars no matter how many times I read. I love reading this book now I'll always have it with me on ny kindle :)
on 3 November 2013
Good book little bit boring could of had some more drama and a bit more of a plot but overall ok