Format: Diary|Change

on 17 April 2007
Saw the review for this book in the paper and was looking for something different to buy my mother. It really is a great idea and will last forever, unlike the chocs or flowers that I normally get! Idea being that your mum takes some time to tell you something about her/your life - we did ours together. Definitely recommend to others...
on 27 May 2008
For various reasons I never really caught up with my mum about her memories of my father who died when I was three. I bought one of these for her and she is so excited about sharing things about my childhood that I, through grief, blanked out. What a superb idea. It sounds like a dreadful thing to say, but don't wait until it is too late, memories are to be cherished, but once gone, they are gone forever
on 27 May 2008
I bought the Dear Mum journal so i could fill it in for my son before he went to serve in Iraq.I found that it was an amazing,memorable and emotional journey filling it in.My son was amazed to find out things about me that he never knew and would never of, if i had not filled in the journal.He now has my life story enabling him to pass it down through the generations.I just wish the journals had been available when my dad was alive, fortunatly for my son he will not have any unanswered questions now,like i do.
on 15 November 2014
I thought there would have been more questions for my mum to answer. Although there's space to add a couple of your own and to add a note to thank them for taking the time to write in the book.
I probably won't be ordering this kind of thing again as i could have made something similar myself.
At the same time I bought the dear dad book. It's exactly the same. Same questions everything such a shame. Nice thought though
on 1 July 2013
I was given Dear Mum for Christmas three years ago by my youngest daughter - thought it was a lovely concept and when I eventually found time to write it this January - when the weather was rubbish - I found I was inspired! It was brilliant finding loads of old photos for the relevant pages (I photocopied copied mine so I could stick more in - photo paper would have made it far to bulky for all I wanted to put in) The memories of years past came flooding back and I thoroughly enjoyed writing it all down. I didn't think I had it in me. When I gave it back to my daughter she was totally thrilled - she had forgotten all about it. A few tears shed all round. Brilliant to be able to share our lives, thoughts and experiences before it's too late. Would have loved to have been able to give my own Mum one. Highly recommend it though I do agree that the paper could have been better quality. Maybe a spiral binding would have made writing easier and perhaps a fastening to keep the added contents of the book secure.
on 27 March 2009
I gave this to my mum as a mother's day present and she was absolutely delighted with it. She started on it later that day and is now constantly thinking of things to write down in the book. She loves the idea that she can write her memories and thoughts down and pass them on and that her kids will enjoy reading them.

The pages just have a title or question at the top to prompt interesting memories and stories about their life so it's not just a blank book that leaves you not knowing what to put or where to start. For example it gets them to tell you about their childhood and their parents.
on 17 June 2013
I brought this book after seeing the one my partner had brought for his grandfather (Dear Grandad, from you to me) & was very impressed with the quality of the book. My mother loved this book (as did my partners grandfather) & I think it adds a very personal touch to giving a gift. I'm looking forward to seeing the book once my mother has completed it & hope to keep it for years to come.
I bought this book for my mother to fill in for me. She's 64 soon and after reading through the questions I think it will be fascinating once completed. It will read like a life story somewhat and there are questions in there that you wouldn't even think of asking your mother or anyone else. We've all sat and listened to the stories our mothers have told us about when they were kids themselves and how it compares to our childhood but this travels through child to teenage to young woman to mature woman. Obviously some questions won't be for some to answer especially if there's been a marriage breakdown or a painful loss of a loved one but these can just be skipped. I wish I'd have asked my Grandmother to fill one of these in before she passed away. This book will potentially be handed down through generations! I think to be remembered is an important thing. A lovely little book indeed.
on 3 December 2009
After reading the positive reviews I purchased the Mum Journal and the Dad one. On receipt It was more like a scrap book with a hard cover. The paper quality and print was very poor quality and to be honest there was nothing inspiring about the product.

There are nicer ones out there for the same price.

I would advise shopping around in book stores so you can actually see the content first, then visiting amazon to see if you can get a better deal!

I am very disappointed with both purchases.

Hope this has helped.
on 4 September 2015
I love the idea of this book, I lost my Dad a few years ago and I would of loved something like this from him. I bought this for my mum, I haven't received it back yet but I really hope she does fill it out, I'm really looking forward to reading it. It's a fabulous idea, something to keep forever. Beautiful book, it has a quality feel to it.