Customer reviews

Deadly Sins
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.99

on 22 April 2017
Brilliant book, I read this after reading A Much Married Man,quite similar in vein and an enjoyable second read. Hope to get more books from N.C.
on 26 May 2009
I a battle between two supermarkets, and a PR supremo thrown in might seem a strange mix for Coleridge's new book, but it couldn't be better. Coleridge manages to strike the right balance between humour and great story telling, throwing together the two worlds of an old school PR magnate and a downmarket, but richer, budget supermarket chain owner. Colerdige knows these worlds so well you wonder who some of the snobbier characters are based on. Rich in timely detail, I would recommend this as a great read. Take it on holiday and prepare to be entertained.
on 30 March 2012
If you liked Sandra Howard's "Ursula's Story" which I recall was about middle class life: children, dogs and dinner parties in London; then you might enjoy Coleridge's account of the "wannabes" in rural Hampshire, England.
Coleridge's excessive contempt (love???) for his principal character, Miles Straker, head of a multi-national PR firm is the crux of my problem with his book. Miles is an odious, borderline character who lacks any redeeming qualities. Coleridge plays out every conceivable 'class' difference between the highly successful "Lord of Chawbury Manor" (Miles) and his neighbour, the self made millionaire from Yorkshire, Ross Clegg. To inflict on the reader an incident at a posh dinner of the correct piece of cutlery to use was numbingly dumb.
The supporting cast of wives and children are a collection of two dimensional stereotypes seemingly created to provide the author with a platform to champion various topical causes.
I finished this book due to being stuck on a long haul flight without anything else to read. If Deadly Sins represents middle class life in rural South East England then it reinforces my resolution to remain firmly inside the M25!
on 19 May 2009
Deadly Sins is terrific. Its one of those books that come along every so often that you simply dont want to put down - and certainly dont want to come to the end of because you're having a really good time reading it! The story of a rivalry between two men - Miles (a scheming, wealthy and ambitious PR guru)and Ross, a plain speaking Midlands-born super-successful supermarket owner - races along, even though it covers a number of years. There are all sorts of twists and turns and along the way I was introduced to a veritable brace of fabulously observed and well drawn charachters... Nicholas Coleridge's attention to detail is fantastic - and often very amusing. Deadly Sins is fantastic - I can't recommend it highly enough. ENJOY!!
on 16 July 2010
I bought both Deadly Sins and Pride and Avarice thinking they were different books. I was extremely cross to find they were the same. Living in the U.S. it would have been too expensive to send one back. I wish there was some way we could be warned that we are buying the same book with two different titles. It was a good read.
on 4 June 2009
This is a fun, easy to read summer novel and reminds me of early Jilly Cooper. The characters are a bit cardboard cut out, but in a book like this I don't think it matters that much. It's not my usual genre but I always look out for the publication date for his new books and so far have enjoyed them all.
on 11 September 2015
I had never read anything by Nicholas Coleridge before and am usually hesitant about trying "new" authors.
What a pleasant surprise!

I found the book highly entertaining and well written. Not only the stories of the two families, but the stories/characteriations of each member. The author seems well informed about English politics, business and the lives of the upper classes. A lot can of course be discussed about capitalism, the self made man versus born to privilege. However, I did not see this book so much as a reflection on social differences; to me this was pure entertainment. Fast paced and fun.

Kept me awake two nights and have ordered more Coleridge. The only thing I wonder about is why it does not say "bestseller" on the cover....
Highly recommended!
on 9 October 2009
Saddled as most of us are by the daily commute, my journeys were transformed when given Mr Coleridge's Deadly Sins for my birthday a couple of months ago. The characters dance off the page in vivid detail and we have all come across some of these types - whether we care to admit it or not - which makes the book all the more enjoyable. One of the chapters involving dinner in a very smart Caribbean hotel produced such fits of giggles that in one effortless moment, I had become "the loony on the bus" .... Forget "You wont want to book this book down" and try "You wont want to get off the bus"!
on 15 May 2009
Add an 8th deadly sin to the list - being entirely distracted from worthwhile endeavours by this utterly addictive novel. In pr-spinner Miles Straker we have a wonderfully wicked anti-hero with Machiavellian powers to match the darkest of knights. And in Ross Clegg, self made millionaire and supermarket king, we have a British talent the nation will cheer on to his exquisitely sweet and well-earned victory. With trademark Coleridge wit and a plot of characters effortlessly managed with all the skill of a plate spinner this was nothing but pleasure from beginning to end. Just wish I hadn't finished it so quickly so I'd have all the enjoyment still to come.
on 13 January 2013
I chose this rating due to this book being a really great read. I found the start a little slow but after the first couple of chapter the book was really hard to put down. All the characters are really interesting! I would recommend the book to any kind of person, I think most people would enjoy reading this book as its very gripping.