Customer reviews

Deadly Descendant
Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 26 April 2012
This is another very well-written book by JB, but from what I read in book1, I was expecting hostilities to have been in full force between the Children of the Gods (Liberi), who Nikki has aligned herself with, and the 'bad Gods', the Olympians, and that Nikki would be finding her feet as a Liberi.

Instead, it started with Nikki kind of wanting to get away from (full God) Anderson's mansion, due to the hissy fits of his missing-but-now-found wife, Emma, who seems to have a totally enraged bee in her bonnet about Nikki wanting her hubby, and who seems more manic and twisted than traumatised at the hands of the Olympians. Most of the book seemed to focus on their fights, and on Emma's vindictiveness and bitchiness, and deviousness, which kind of seemed OTT, but which was of the scheming bimbo-bitch type, and which kind of slowed down the tale (when you finish reading it, you'll see why so much was made of the fights). Nikki is persuaded by Anderson to stay, and she goes into PI mode and huntress mode on the Liberi's behalf, when the Olympians approach them with a proposition to work together to take out a common enemy...

OK, so book1 didn't have the slightest bit of romance, but this one had me wondering about Nikki's potential relationship with more than one male. One surprised me completely, due to his 360-degree turnaround from his attitude towards Nikki in book1, and one surprised me because having a 'something' with Nikki might make him a lesser man. Neither 'relationship' went too far, but the way the book ended, left it open for Nikki to be starting something with either guy. Yes, she had a clear preference, but I do wonder if she'll end up being overwhelmed by the other...

There are some big changes within the Olympians hierarchy in this tale, as the evil, vindictive Konstantin has been deposed by his son, who then seemingly goes on to forge an allegiance with a most unexpected member of the Liberi, who leaves Anderson's mansion as the tale ends...

On top of all of the above, there is still a decent underlying bit of action, where both the goodies and baddies are united in trying to stop a God of Death and his dog soldiers from slaughtering humans and Olympians, but of course, the Olympians haven't been entirely truthful, but PI Nikki susses things out and the enemy is taken out, but not before he reveals a fair bit about the Olympians. And we get to see a lot more of the other Liberi in this tale, and to learn more about their characters.

Overall, this is another decent read, as expected from JB, and yes, it has me at the point of pre-ordering the next in the series as soon as it becomes available. I am not sure, though, having read it, that I actually wanted a romance of any sort in what seems to be an 'action' type of paranormal, and what this will mean for the Liberi, going forward. Yes, I'm contradicting my previous review, and my mindset about my choice of books with at least a smidgen of romance, but I'm not convinced that this series needs some. Still, we'll see.