Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 22 April 2014
This was a really sweet (excuse the pun) fun story. I like the authors take on zombies. Who doesn't love cake? A nice take on a coming of age story. I would recommend this to young teens or adults looking for a light hearted bit of fun.
on 21 September 2015
(I received a free copy of this book in exchangge for a review).

(This review may contain spoilers).

I thought the plot of this book was a really intriguing one. I liked the fact that Josephine’s family clearly had a reputation for cooking with ‘conjuring’… though I was a bit confused about how much Josephine’s dad was actually aware of.

I liked the first part of the book. I felt it drew me in really easily and that I was able to follow the storyline fairly easily. It was interesting to see Shaula throughout the book. I was left unsure about her motivations and alignment for most of the book. I would have liked some more details about her and how she was connected with Josephine.

It was interesting to see how the legends varied and that there seemed to be a whole culture related to the witchcraft. It would have been good to see more of other witch families, since I can’t imagine Josephine’s is the only family who can do that kind of magic..

I thought the atmosphere of the book came across particularly well, even though the attitudes of some of the other characters towards Josephine were really awful. I did like Quentin, even though I had a lot of dislike for Authelia. Despite some of the things she comes out with, I didn’t really have a lot of sympathy for her.

I thought it was cool to see the different forms of ingredients that went into the recipes. I thought it was interesting to see that the zombies were desperate for cake and the reasons why made a lot of sense.

I liked seeing Josephine’s interactions with her family and it was also good to see the detrimental effect on them from the news articles. I also thought it was cool to see the effects the pie had on Quentin’s dog. It made me smile to read about that.

I thought this book was easy to read and very entertaining. In the future, I would be interested in reading more books by this author… and a sequel to this book, hopefully. It would be good to see more of Josephine… and hopefully learn more about her family history