Customer reviews

on 31 May 2016
Great collection of unusual stories. I happened upon it when I followed a trail of introduction to another novel I read. Some of the stories are better than others, as it usually happens in anthology, but overall a good read. I can see myself researching more authors for more books to read in the same theme.
on 22 July 2014
My thoughts:
I am going to make this short, because they stories are just that, some very short, and if I say too much, then I have said it all.

Introduction—John Joseph Adams
Now I know what weird western is...

The Red-Headed Dead—Joe R. Lansdale
Short story about a priest. Ok but really short.

The Old Slow Man and His Gold Gun From Space—Ben H. Winters
Weird, short and had a nice twist to it.

Hellfire on the High Frontier—David Farland
Maybe they work cos they are short, interesting. Anyway, I liked the stuff at the end. very cool. Something happens there ;)

The Hell-Bound Stagecoach—Mike Resnick
A nice weird one. I liked it.

Stingers and Strangers—Seanan McGuire
InCryptic tale. You can follow along even if you have read nothing from that "world".

Bookkeeper, Narrator, Gunslinger—Charles Yu
I did feel a bit confused with this one.

Holy Jingle—Alan Dean Foster
A bit so and so.

The Man With No Heart—Beth Revis
I wondered where this one was going and at the end I totally wanted a book about him. Cool.

Wrecking Party—Alastair Reynolds
Scary future for all of us, nice sense of doom

Hell from the East—Hugh Howey
I read it 30 min ago and have forgotten it already *checks* Right, sun dance. Ok the concept was interesting of what is to come

Second Hand—Rajan Khanna
Same with this one *check* Right, cards. Needed more explaining

Alvin and the Apple Tree—Orson Scott Card
I have not read the Alvin books so..who is Alvin? Anyway freaky town! Do not go there!

Madam Damnable’s Sewing Circle—Elizabeth Bear
Not that much happened, I know they are short but still

Strong Medicine—Tad Williams
Now this was one weird place. Very nice.

Red Dreams—Jonathan Maberry
Freaky end, I do like freaky endings.

Bamboolzed—Kelley Armstrong
A good story

Sundown—Tobias S. Buckell
I could have needed some more explanations here, it should have been longer

La Madre Del Oro—Jeffrey Ford
Ohhh, the end, I need more, what was that?! Awesome, creepy.

What I Assume You Shall Assume—Ken Liu
Eh, I mean ok, but I would rather have read this set in China and not as a backstory

The Devil’s Jack—Laura Anne Gilman
Interesting fellow this Jack.

The Golden Age—Walter Jon Williams
Ha, this one was weird too, but hey that is why they are weird westerns. Got to love that

Neversleeps—Fred Van Lente
Hey they mentioned Tesla, that is always good, cos booo Edison, Tesla rules! Could have been even more interesting fully fleshed out.

Dead Man’s Hand—Christie Yant
I did not get this one. Was it even a story?

Conclusion:
And like always, some were good, some were ok, some I still remember, some I forgot. It's an anthology after all and every story will not be to my taste, they never are. But what they all had in common was that even if I was not a fan, they were still interesting. So, weird cool stories set in a west you have not seen before.
on 27 June 2014
Just to set the scene, I prefer short stories, have read lots of anthologies (on many different genres) and enjoy the ‘weird west’ setting.

So this book should be perfect for me then!

Yes – it certainly is.

All anthologies I have read before have the usual mixed quality from poor to excellent. These stories are all good to excellent. Whilst all the tales have a satisfactory ending, a lot are as though they should be in a series – I wanted to read more about the exploits of the central character(s).

This is certainly a sign of a good story in my opinion – leaving me wanting more.

This a little bit of steam punk or clockwork punk here and there, nothing major and it is in the background - all the stories are character driven.

One I will again and again - highly recommended.