on 1 October 2016
I purchased this book on Kindle, while scanning around for a new read, and trying a few samples. Thought I'd be brave and try something new and something Post-apocalyptic, as don't believe I've read from that genre before. Watched enough films and TV on the subject, so why not. Found this on the 'recommended for you' tab and with lot's of nice reviews, was tempted to take the plunge.

And it started off interesting me, with a young lad living with his parents out on some distant farm, away from most civilisation anyway. Unaware of all the mayhem the rest of the world has found themselves in...until the now extreme weather conditions catches up with them. Won't go on anymore for fear of adding spoilers, but his life is suddenly turned upside down and adventures pursue him.

Sadly, around the 20% read mark, I'd lost interest. A few grammatical errors put me off a tad, but so did the almost simple story. Nothing surprising happens, things always fall into place...a bit too easy for my liking and the story plods on at a similar slow pace. Was at no point looking forward to or wondering what was about to happen and it became a bit of a slog to finish it, even skim read a few bits.

So two stars, as it's ok, nothing special.
on 12 January 2017
I read this book after New year and didn't want to put it down. Usually halfway through Id already have guessed a lot about the ending but this time some things crept up on me. The characters were well defined and likeable or not as the case may be I was engrossed in the story and hoped the ending would be happy. There wasn't enough back story for me as to why the world had gone to crap but a good read I'd recommend it to young adults and older people alike.
on 9 April 2017
Didn't get what happened to world conditions but plenty of adventure and action, is there a follow-up book? , I will read it again.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 7 August 2014
not a bad read.Nice to read a book with an ending instead of "part 2 out next year!"
on 28 June 2014
Compelling, harsh, tragic, beautiful. Just a few of the adjectives I could use to describe this superbly written post-apocalyptic tale.
Concisely and quite without over-dramatization, the author managed to bind me completely with this account of a young man's trip through the hell of a dying land.
It's a very long time since I read something as evocative as this book, and I shan't spoil it by recounting the various events. It is enough to say that if I might dare to compare the writing with any other author, it would have to be Morgan Nyberg, whose way with words is similarly pared down and incisive. The ability to keep things simple at the same time as conveying a wealth of emotional intelligence and information, as well as painting a landscape that is as real in my mind as the world that I see, is rare indeed.
I came back to my life with a bump when I finished this book; the same feeling you get when you walk out of a cinema in broad daylight and marvel at how normal your world seems to be, having spent some time elsewhere in time and space.
on 21 August 2014
Like all end of the world stories this has degrees of predictability but that's just an observation, not a criticism. Likeable characters (some books have main characters you care nothing about) and a fast-paced story, well told. I like the writing style and am particularly glad that it isn't being spun into an endless series of books. I hope to find more books by Mr Wightman, I really do.
on 25 July 2014
I started this book yesterday afternoon and could not stop reading. As post-apocalyptic novels go, this is a gem and so well written. It's nice to encounter a really good book.
I'm not going to recap the plot (I don't do that) but if you are looking for a decent read and enjoy post-apocalyptic novels, then this is the book for you.
on 27 July 2017
Actually better than I expected. Normally a voracious reader, recently I have been finding it difficult to get involved, but this one kept pulling me back into it right to the end. Hugh kill rate but that is to be expected in this genre. Good characterisation.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 10 October 2014
Like the characters in his book Wightman tackles things head on. Be it love, loss or murder, there is a refreshing honesty and clarity in the writing and this makes the characters all the more real, and their journey one we make our own. There are subtle nods to McCarthy and King, but that's no bad thing, and if Wightman continues to produce work of this calibre and depth he'll have no need to dof his cap to anyone.
on 14 November 2015
I've read a good few books in the genre and this is one of the best. Honestly violent but not gratuitous. It related the practical problems people would have and the characters were honestly written in shades of grey when the genre tends to treat them as black and white, good and evil. An entertaining road trip where you genuinely cared for the characters and grieved their loss.