Days & Memory Paperback – 1 Oct 2001
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"A collection of moving, chiseled prose narratives." --"Kirkus Reviews"
"Delbo's book ranks among the best of the literature of the Holocaust." --"Booklist"
From the Back Cover
In Auschwitz, memory meant life: remembering the humanity extinguished by the death camps and hoping to survive to tell what had been endured. In Auschwitz, Charlotte Delbo collected from memory the plays, stories, and poems that fed her companions' spirits. There she committed to memory all that she would one day describe for future generations. In Days and Memory, her last book, completed shortly before her death, Delbo becomes the voice of memory. Poems and vignettes, dialogues and meditations, interweave her experience in the death camp with the sufferings of others around the world, depicting the power of dignity and decency in the face of inhumanity. A remarkable achievement, stark and lyrical, passionate and fiery, this virtuoso performance demands attention-and rewards readers with beauty, sorrow, and hope.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > Europe
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > France
- Books > Biography > Holocaust
- Books > Biography > War & Espionage > World War II
- Books > Biography > Women
- Books > History > Europe > Holocaust
- Books > History > Military History > War Crimes
- Books > History > World History > World War II 1939-1945 > Biographies & Memoirs
- Books > History > World History > World War II 1939-1945 > Countries
- Books > History > World History > World War II 1939-1945 > Origins
- Books > Poetry, Drama & Criticism > Essays, Journals & Letters
- Books > Poetry, Drama & Criticism > History & Criticism > Literary Studies
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Women's Studies