on 23 May 2014
I read,
I read a lot,

Its extremely rare for me not to finish a book, even if its only mediocre, however, i just couldn't bring myself to read this book. Its not that its badly written because its fine, its not that its a bad premise for a story, as its ok also, its just mind numbingly boring.

I hope that the author finds some readers that like this style of writing and that loads of people buy and read his books, because I have to commend anyone that tries to make it in this way - I know I couldn't do it. I can't even think of any constructive criticism that would help to improve it as I actually cant remember anything of the story to comment on.
on 16 June 2013
The author's decision to start out by very thoroughly laying the background history to the outbreak of the interplanetary war is a bold one, and certainly plays an important part in understanding the events that subsequently transpire. It does, however, make for a somewhat drawn out and dry first third of the book which almost made me quit. I am glad I did not because from there on in events move quickly and the action sequences are well conceived and written. I look forward to the next book which will hopefully pick up where this one leaves off but without another history lesson.
on 11 September 2013
The action starts out swiftly, leading to a long explanation of the reasons behind the conflict.
The reasoning is sound, if extensive and culminates in a riveting and action packed spacebourne battle over interplanetary borders.
The physics is visible within our current scope of understanding and doesn't count on far fetched technologies.
A good grounding of the surviving characters which will lead to a decent sequel; which I am rather looking forward to.
Book 2 please Mr. Forsberg.
Whilst I thought the story was quite good, I could not finish this book as there were too many incorrect words (for example, the author consistently uses "ordinance" (Law) when he means "ordnance" (weapon)). The wording is also often clumsy - "it was not unheard of to hear of" anybody?

Unfortunately, these issues got in the way of a reasonable story. What a shame! Let's hope better editing prevails for the rest of the series.
on 29 October 2012
A good first novel Day One takes an original approach to telling its story by being split into two parts, the first half being a historical retrospective informing us about the stories universe before getting into the narrative proper. As a fan of well-thought out sci-fi I loved it, finding the progression of history from the modern day to start of the story worryingly plausible.

Without giving away any spoilers the story, both the historical aspects and the more tradition telling, is well written and well paced, with even the retrospective section keeping my interest throughout. The author also makes good use of the sci-fi setting while keeping the science and technology relatable and plausible without spending too much time going into excessive details. In the second half of the book, the novel proper, the characters are believable and the action scenes gripping. Overall it's a good length, although I would have welcomed more, and I am looking forward to book 2!
on 30 March 2013
This is an interesting take on science fiction writing. The author has clearly invested a huge amount of effort in creating a realistic back-story and history leading up to the time the story begins, unfortunately all that back story is included in the book, making it often feel too factual and dry. The action, when it comes, is fast paced and gripping and I think book 2 has every chance of being a more satisfying read. For what I paid for this book I have no complaints and I hope the author continues to tell this story.
on 6 May 2013
Mr Forsberg has not served up a space opera of the type which is all too common - Horatio Hornblower in Space etc. But gives a gripping almost documentary feel to his narrative much in the same vein as Cornelius Ryan and his WWII Books.

Set in the 23rd century it recounts the "outer Colonies" struggle for independence from an Earth Hag ridden by Corporations, not unlike our own 21st Century beloved banks and corporations in their short term greed. The Space combat is believable with no silly boondoggles or hollywood physics.

At 77 pence it's a must for any Science Fiction fan - am awaiting the second with baited breath.
on 29 May 2013
Initially, this is a strange book to read. It starts with a tense prologue that promises a high action space opera then, jarringly, proceeds as a future history info dump, text book style for the next third of the book. Anyone who bales out, at this part of the story, will have cheated themselves out of an excellent read. To be honest, the future history part was a little too dry, even for my taste in sci-fi with comprehensive world building. Reading what mining rights had been won by which organisation or where and when a land claim was negotiated by which international body and why this lead to conflict several hundred years before the beginning of the main story did make my eyes glaze over at times.

However, if you persevere with this section you will be rewarded with an excellently written thriller. It continues from events in the prologue involving the first day of a surprise attack that lead to an inter-solar war between the human colonists who inhabit the solar system's moons, asteroids and planets and Earth's governments and corporate bodies. The story is told from several POVs on both sides of the conflict that unfolds like real time news feeds. In places It reminded me a little of the first news reports on the day of 9/11 where everything was confused and shocking and no one really knew what was going on.

One of the strengths of this story is the use of real physics coupled with a realistic take on what a future conflict in space would look like; no FTL, no star wars style dog fighting, no cloaking devices or shields. Despite not having any of those space opera clichés the combat is still very gripping none the less. Something that is also covered well in the combat is the impact caused by the delays in communications due to the vast distances involved.

John Forsberg has created a very detailed world, including diagrams of ships at the back of the book and schematics of extra solar bases on his website. However, one point I think he missed was that generations of humans living on low gravity moons and asteroids are likely to develop physiology that will be very distinct from Earth bound humans; they will be taller, weaker and have less bone density making their appearance so different from Earth people that they will to appear as almost as different species. This was covered very well by, James S. A. Corey's Expanse series. However, this is a minor point. I really enjoyed this book and will certainly buy the next on in the series.
on 18 June 2013
No hi-tech lasers, no force fields, no faster than light travel, just plain old space travel that's not to dissimilar to the limitations space agencies face today. This book has definitely got a realistic feel to it.
There is also an abridged history of events leading up to the story. As the type of person who questions the why's and wherefore's of everything, I thought this was an excellent addition.

Overall a very good read and worthy of five stars
on 29 May 2013
I've always been a fan of military and space sci-fi so it was no surprise that I got a copy of this book. It was great decision to do so. I really enjoyed the history section of the universe in which the story is set and I loved the little descriptions at the start of the book, the abbreviations and stuff.
I attempted a similar history section in my own book, The Silent Saga: Desolate but on a smaller scale, just in the prologue and Forsberg showed me that it can be employed effectively.
The action sequences in the second part of the book flowed with good pace and did not embellish to much nor understate what needed to be said. It was just right. The end section of the book where also right up my street but I better not elaborate to much so readers can see for themselves.
All in all, I will be getting the second part or any subsequent releases in the series as I thoroughly enjoyed it.