on 15 March 2017
Excellent book..going through it slowly but surely..lots of tips and information about a very good camera
on 23 March 2017
A comprehensive book covers all aspects of the camera
on 23 July 2017
Really good, in depth book. Explains all functions in simple terms. Not the book for putting in your bag, It's quite big
on 5 September 2013
Goes through the NIkon 71000 in depth, shows where the functions are, what the do and how to use them. Bit heavy to take into the field but a really useful manual.
on 26 October 2013
This is a very weighty tome and David Busch has certainly excelled himself this time. His statement at the front of the book about not rushing into writing a more generic DSLR publication and rehashing other Nikon camera guides, like other authors have done, is testament to his dedication to create the ultimate guide for this ultimate camera.

Personally, I have been using SLR cameras for over 50-years, both 35mm film and DSLR digitals, using both Canon and Nikon brands. During that time the two brands ran neck and neck with each other, both in the professional and amatuer fields, however, in the early digital age it was Canon who outranked Nikon, especially in the enthusiast sector. The Nikon D7100, marketted as an ethusiasts tool is by all accounts a professional camera, the first DX of it's kind in the world and with specifications that amatuer photographers have dreamt about for years.

This book not only enhances the already large Nikon guide that comes with the camera, but it also gives tips and shortcuts that Nikon themselves have not bothered to mention. The author has constructed the book in a way that will appeal to past DSLR users, whether Nikon or not, and new DSRL users, maybe upgrading from a bridge camera for instance. Thus he covers some basic items and gives tips that even past Nikon users may not have realised are available. A point in question for me at least, remembering that I have owned in the past six other Nikon DSLR's and three Nikon compacts, is the calendar view, which enables one to enter, 1-step past the 12-thumbnail view, all images taken on a specific day, using a monthly calendar page. So you see, it's easy for even experienced and regular Nikon users to miss things.

The book covers everything, even Nikon lenses preferred for this specific camera - but beware, if you want a guide to take with you in your camera bag, this is not the one. Covering everything means that it is a weighty volume, both in content and in actual heavyness. Highly recommended for anybody that really wants to get the best out of the D7100 and take their photography to a higher level.
on 1 November 2013
A terrific book. It pretty well doubles as a photographic manual. I've had the Nikon D7100 for some months now having given up serious photography years ago and now beginning again. With such a camera as the Nikon D7100, I realised I had been well & truly left behind with the advances in DSLR photography. I bought the Dummies guide which was a gentle induction in the manifold capabilities of this camera but I soon outgrew it and turned to Bausch's vastly more comprehensive and sophisticated book and continue to discover much more. If you are a seasoned photographer then I am not sure if any manual like this is of much use. However, if you are upgrading from a much less sophisticated DSLR then this is the book for you. I still check in the Nikon manual though and use both in tandem.
on 31 May 2014
I found the included manual was sufficient to work out many of the features myself, but decided that if I learned one or two key tips with this book, then it would be worthwhile. I achieved this and not quite half way through. The book provides a necessary technical description which gives insight into why the camera sometimes does not perform how you want. I amused myself whilst reading the user manual's explanation of focus, where manual focus was just a few words, while auto focus was an entire chapter. Seems a bit ironic. In this book it's taken to yet another level. But by gaining a technical understanding it increases your ability to utilise the cameras capabilities to the maximum and find workarounds for when it doesn't quite do what you want.

The important point about this book over the manual, is that it's written by a photographer for a photographer. That's a really key difference. The goal of the user manual on the other hand is to take you through the menus, a kind of system oriented view which bears little relation to the way the camera should be explained.

My only slight criticism is that the first part of the book addresses an audience that I simply don't believe exists for this camera. Most owners are going to be pro, semi-pro or serious enthusiast. I don't believe there will be many using this camera as an entry level camera, as its lure is towards advanced features. There are a couple of chapters that were just too basic and while the author suggests the reader can skip certain content, I am always uncomfortable doing so. But there is plenty of good content in the book and the level of detail does not disappoint.

I owned a D80 for several years and never felt that I properly learned how to use it. This book complemented by time invested in experimentation and practice will yield the most benefit out of using this superb camera.
VINE VOICEon 5 September 2013
I bought David's book on the D300 a few years after buying the camera. I wish I hadn't waited so long. I may not have changed much to the camera, just a couple of tweaks here and there, but it's the understanding that goes with it. Why are you making those tweaks. David explains it very easily.
So, when I ordered a D7100 I ordered this book the same day.
It is perhaps even more in depth than the D300 book, David is very open in his love for this camera and as he explains, that is why he spent a few extra months putting this book together, to get the most he can in here.
A very worthwhile purchase to help understand this amazing camera.
on 1 March 2014
I have bought several books two DVD,S and all are quite good but this book is simply the best one to buy it has everything you need to know .
I was not happy about how long it took to arrive but that was because I had not been informed that the stock in the UK had run out and they had ordered it from USA if I had known that I would not have chased the company knowing how long it would take.
This is a book which is well written and once you start reading it with camera at hand it is just great .
I HAVE NO HESITATION IN SAYING "BUY THIS BOOK ITS GREAT"
on 15 November 2013
Great improvement on Nikon's manual. Easily to understand and follow. Not sure if it is too large but it would be great if it could be made into an ebook for an iphone app