on 14 October 2011
Well, despite what some other reviewers have said I found this book a real godsend. Yes, it might repeat some of the supplied SONY Booklet but this book is very detailed and goes way beyond what SONY supply. The illustrations (in photos) are particularly good.

I`m only about a third the way into it but already I have learnt a hell of a lot. I`ve been doing photography for about fifty years but I`m fairly new to DSLR and this book guides, informs and teaches. You`re never too old to learn .............

It`s easy to see why the Author is so highly regarded since the text is plain and easy to understand. Yes, some of it gets a bit heavy but the explanations are there, you might just have to read them a few times over, that`s all.

There are lots of things I didn`t know about my NEX5 and this book is opening up new possibilities already. I`m now saving my money up for a new NEX7 body to go with all my new (SONY) lenses I`d bought for the NEX5.

I can thoroughly recommend this book and it`s price represents really good value for what you can learn.

As usual delivery was prompt and efficient from AMAZON - buy one.
on 9 January 2012
If the SONY NEX3/5 camera is typically going to be in the hands of someone moving from a basic point and shoot then this book is ideal. It does help explain acronyms that are commonly used in the digital photograph and explains almost all of the settings in laymen terms which is of real benefit for some one moving from a compact. I have not given this a 5star rating as not all settings are illustrated with a picture showing side by side differences in settings that I had hoped but then it would be a very long book if it did.

For the slightly more advanced user it offers a some author observation about limitations of settings/lenses that you might not otherwise spot initially but I'm not sure what it offer much more to them than a (major) improvement over sony manual.
FYI, I have the newer 2011 16mp NEX C3 and this book is still very much applicable.

In summary, if you are new to this camera and dont have alot/any experience of DSLR then this book is a great way to quickly understand the NEX 3/5 and use it in ways you may not have otherwise have considered. When spending this much on a NEX camera with so many functions/settings this is a sensible purchase to complement it.
on 2 September 2011
Well written, good logical layout, good illustrations and full of useful and often stimulating guidance. Printing quality is also first class. My only negative (slight) is that the size is a little on the large side for convient portability. I would have preferred had it been a little more compact but overall an excellent guide to getting the most from these super cameras.
on 2 November 2011
this book is just brilliant! it starts off on the very basics, and even shows you all the sides of your camera in photographs, with all buttons/dials labelled etc. as you read through it, you then learn all the advanced features. perfectly written, in simple, easy to understand english. it explains all you will need to know about using manual settings on a DSLR. it also has all one subject in one place, so no searching 20 different pages for 'autofocus' (for example.)i have learned so much! go and get one, it will be the best thing you ever did if you have a new Sony A55 camera!
on 13 March 2011
This is an excellent guide to the Sony Nex 3 & 5. It's more than just a rehash of the technical manual that comes with the camera. In his very clear and informal way David Busch shows you how to get the most from these two superb cameras. There are plenty of useful illustrations to make things even clearer. Every Nex 3 and Nex 5 camera user should have this book. Highly recommended.
on 13 September 2011
I've learned a great deal from this book, not only about the NEX-5 but aspects of photography I didn't know before. Also, that the NEX cameras don't always follow the "rules" that apply to many/most DSLRs. There are some differences that are important to understand (the focussing system for example). Doesn't include the latest firmware upgrade improvements (only up to v.3) but glad I bought it - 99% of what you need is there.
on 19 January 2012
Like others I found that this is obviously a "cut and paste" job, so that only about 20% of it is about the Sony A33 and 55, and the rest is general digital SLR stuff which I could read anywhere. I did get one good hint out of it, and that was the try Upstrap Pro camera straps. My own A55 has now had a firmware upgrade which updates its method of operating and adds features, thus making this book less accurate in the process!

It also does not mention alternative makes of lenses, something of an oversight considering that the standard kit zoom lens that comes with the camera is its weakest point, being both stiff to zoom, and wobbly at the same time. Both the lenses I have bought since are Sigma, and are superior in quality to the Sony lens.
on 3 August 2012
I bought this to accompany my new purchase of a NEX5. It covers a lot of the basics of photography (which I already know about), but glad it was in relation to the myriad of settings and menus on the camera. It goes way beyond the basic user manual, so is a good purchase.
A little disappointed it didn't put the actual symbols by the explanations of the settings (would have helped as a visual aid is worth a 1,000 words as they say ;)
Likewise, a chapter on using the camera on manual settings with Minolta/other lenses would have been helpful. (I bought it primarily to use with an adaptor so I didn't have to part with my old prime lenses.)
Overall, a good book, but a few bits missing. (But maybe I have high expectations ;)
on 30 November 2011
I've really starting getting into photography in the last couple of years and bought the NEX C3 a few months ago. I've been getting used to it since then but it's a bit annoying when things won't do what you tell them too and you're not sure why (I'm still a bit of a n00b, I know, but simple things like stuff to do with the aperture and white balance for example). Thankfully this book has come in very useful with getting my head around things I didn't understand or simply didn't know anything about, very informative.
on 22 July 2011
This book is very much what an ideal user manual would look like. Richly illustrated, and full of useful tips and tricks, this book covers every function and feature of the camera in just the right amount of detail you need to get the most out of your wonderful device. It also covers some additional topics, like lenses, sensor cleaning and bundled software, but the book really shines in showing you every nook and cranny of the wonderful Sony SLT A33/A55 cameras without ever being uninteresting or boring.
If you own an A33 or A55, get this book, and become a better and more enthusiastic user of your camera, and perhaps a better photographer in the process!