Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 13 June 2003
After Reading this book i was very suprised, as i am a big fan of eminem i thought that a lot of the information that the book had to offer wouldn't be anything new to me. But the author spent a huge amount of time writing this book so they could go into great detail and be sure to cover everything. The book starts of telling the story of eminems up bringings right the way to his film debut. If your an eminem fan and want to learn more about him or a big fan like me be sure to purchase this book. i would also say that if your not a huge fan of this artist, but curious of his journey to superstardom then make this your next book that you purchase.
on 21 August 2012
I almost never read biographies, but something about Eminem made me want to know more. His public image as Slim Shady often incites anger and promotes the idea that he is without any moral compass - and yet in many interviews he comes across as a soft-spoken, intelligent, and honest man that is quite at odds with that public image.

This book is sympathetically yet even-handedly written: Nick Hasted is the first to admit those times that his subject overstepped the mark, and yet manages to show us the damage - partly caused by we, the public, in our often-invasive want for celebrity gossip - that has made Marshall Mathers into the man he is. I was honestly moved by the accounts of his early life, and later his life in the goldfish bowl, and came away with the impression that this was the story of a mostly good man turned borderline insane by the crazy media-led society we live in.

The middle portions of the book, detailing his many legal battles, home troubles, criminal convictions and inflamatory lyrics may turn many off him - I admit even I found some things distasteful, as I have some of his music, and I'm largely unshockable - but the latter chapters make up for that by showing us how those things can be overcome. Nick Hasted cleverly refuses to shy away from the more unsavoury parts of Em's story while somehow helping us to understand how culture, poverty, and issues of identity may have contributed to its happening.

Eminem's battle with prescription drugs, alcohol, and lethargy ultimately make for inspiring reading, as he comes out the other side to one of the most impressive comebacks in recent music history. Listening to Recovery and its uplifting messages of re-birth and renewal, it's hard to believe just how far he's come.

On a more personal level, I am myself on prescription painkillers for a long-standing condition, and have sleeping tablets likewise for when I need them. Reading this and watching Em's many candid interviews on drug use have made me think carefully every time I reach for the pills. I now stop to think "Do I need them at this moment? Am I actually in pain right now, or going by habit?" and it helps me make a more responsible decision on when to take them. So thank you, Marshall, and thank you, Nick, for this great story.
on 13 May 2003
I found it to be top notch reading. It tells you about the Marshall Mathers childhood right through to his stardom today as Eminem. I couldn't put the book down. Simply a must for any Eminem fan. 5 star quality!!!!!
on 23 March 2006
This book is not what you would think. Its not written on behalf of Eminem, instead its such that a 3rd person is looking over his life. Therefore showing posative and negative parts of his life and revealing any contrevercy surrounding him (e.g. his age).
The book is about Marshall's upbringing and his rise from rages to riches. It details about his upbringing and the facts surrounding his past and present.
As soon as i picked up this book i couldnt put it down (I read very very little normally). You simply want to read on & on about it as a matter of interest.
This book often critises Eminem yet also compliments the struggle in his life. I would highly reccomend this book, if you want to know about Marshall Mathers or simply just want more factual information about the Hip Hop industry.
on 20 July 2013
I always knew eminem had it hard
Reading more and more you start to appreciate
The family you have
He doesn't have a loving family.
My heart goes out to him.
More respect towards this fighter
on 6 November 2013
Biographies are sometimes more objective than autobiographies and I think this book is honest although it relies heavily on the MTv documentary Marshall did in his junior years. The writer fuses his record releases and personality traits/ experiences at that time very well, so was a very nice read. The more I read about rap stars I realize they're very different to their portrayal by media bosses- Marshall was hard working, didn't complain about his crap job to his boss or coworkers and worked without incident, but at home he unleashed it all on paper, very impressive that he lived local for as long as he could and still visited his old work colleagues.
on 1 July 2016
Had this bought and delivered before I seen eminem live a few years ago and this book was really annoying the constant uncorrect term was used each time constantly calling eminem a pop star, I am trying to read it and finally complete it 3 years later just to pass the time on the train. Also in the beginning it talks about detroit in the 1800's which is just irrelevent
on 17 October 2013
Excellent book really interesting, would recommend it to someone, gives really good info on him from starting from when he was born up till now
on 26 November 2014
This is for my nephew for Christmas looks a very good read. He will be very pleased
on 20 June 2015
I'm really enjoying this book. I love Eminem. This gives some insight to his life.