on 15 May 2017
Just love Helen Black novels
on 13 April 2013
Each Valentine book just gets better and better!

Great characters and brilliant plot.

I can't wait for the next one!
on 10 April 2013
Sad to see such hurt in peoples lives that is kept secret and most of the time not believed or cared about
on 10 October 2013
Not my usual type of book in fact I came across it whilst searching for something else. I decided to try the sample and by the end of it I was totally engrossed and had no hesitation in buying it.
Completely unputdownable I read it in two days and loved the authors style of writing. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a modern up to date storyline with some mystery thrown in.
Well done helen I am off to search for more of your books!
on 10 April 2013
Love the Valentine series & this is no exception. Highly recommened to anyone who loves crime fiction, odd socks and a gripping story.
on 20 November 2013
I read this and was gripped by it. I thought after reading "Bad Blood" that I'd have had enough of the similarity and not finish this but instead I enjoyed it. I found that I read this book quicker than I had read the rest
on 25 November 2013
I really enjoyed this book, realistic descriptions of family life. Good story line, and ending.
I will definitely look for another book by this author.
VINE VOICEon 15 May 2013
Apart from reading a variety of stories and books by Arthur Conan-Doyle, this was my first try at the crime genre, having been put off completely by Agatha Christie! This modern and down to earth book was a very long way from either Sherlock or Miss Marple.

If I hadn't learnt that author Helen Black deals with criminal cases - especially family cases - within the inner city, I'd have assumed a lot of what she was writing was too far-fetched. However, I am certain she knows what she is writing about and knows the score far better than I do. On some things, though, she seems to be under-estimating the ability of her readership.

Just one example of this (and there are others) is that even I, with my limited knowledge of the law, know that for a doctor to hand over a patient's medical records there needs to be a court order. Yet a policeman with twenty years experience apparently is unaware of this. Unlikely. On another occasion, a psychiatrist is apparently happy to discuss details about a child (and the child's mother) with the estranged father - in the middle of a shopping centre and with complete strangers listening in - again, this seems very unlikely to me.

Generally, suspension of disbelief was occasionally stretched - the heroine, suffering from flu, had been attacked, almost strangled to death and needs stitches for a bad cut gained while stabbing her attacker. Within minutes it seemed, she was able to travel into the night in the snow and when the temperature was well below freezing - and no-one (paramedics/ex-boyfriend/police) even TRIED to stop her. Obviously only a bit of a sniffle then?

However, taking everything into consideration, this was not a bad book and opened my eyes to a reality I didn't know previously. I could have done with a bit less soap opera and a bit more crime drama, but all-in-all I enjoyed the book and I'm certainly not put off this author's work.
on 23 November 2013
I have never read this,author before but if you like Amanda sue Bella and similar authors you will love this. Likeable characters good plot happy ending
on 25 October 2013
loved the book only at the end when it got intresting somebody had ripped half a page out of it so i missed some of the story . very dissapointed .