Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Learn more Learn more Shop Kindle Learn More Pre-order now Shop now Learn more Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now

on 11 October 2017
Nessa Hawkins plays Keri Walker, a crack addled prostitute who vaguely remembers killing her latest pick-up as he attempts to rape her. Sounds grim? It gets grimmer. For some reason we don’t ever really find out, Walker is despised by all, even those who supply her drugs. So she enters into a sleazy ‘safe house’ where she is subjected to further horror and all kinds of degradation.

This is a micro-budget production, but every kind of distortion, jump cut and hallucinogenic imagery is used to take your mind off that. For example, the dialogue seems clumsily inserted at times, with a background static hiss, all of which cuts out when the line is spoken. Typical limitations of a low-budget film, or deliberate policy to further play with our senses? You decide! As a short film, it would work as a truly trippy, dark nightmare, but, even though the running time is only 1 hour and 17 minutes, the barrage of shouting and distortion eventually becomes confusing and the shocks lose their value.

Hawkins is excellent as the unfortunate, addicted Walker, her central performance giving us a welcome constant throughout the madness. The storyline, such as it is, exists at the beginning and isn’t further explored until the end, where events aren’t quite as she remembers. My theory, and this is a sizeable SPOILER, is that the ‘safe house’ is a doorway to hell, or death. As Walker finally fights back and rejects it, she regains and retains her life.

I want to like ‘Dark Places’ more than I do, because it uses its lack of budget to great effect and produces a cocktail of powerful twisted imagery. But there’s too much style over substance. David C Hayes, who stars as Luther, an excessive owner of the ‘safe house’ and one of the more extreme characters we meet here, also co-writes. Interesting.
on 31 December 2015
this film started of ok but gt weirder and on and on weird very poor im sorry to sat eileen locke
on 15 June 2011
Plot. Keri is a prostitute and she's addicted to crack. Things go wrong with one customer and he ends up dead. Keri needs a place to hide out and thinks she's found it. Will she survive.
This low budget thriller/horror is very confusing, dark and creepy. The way it has been filmed with camera switching quickly and like a psychedelic head trip is the main cause of my losing the plot here. I like things to be simple but in this low budget psychological thriller horror I simply could not follow the story and what was happening. So for me this wasn't as entertaining as it might be for someone who has a good attention span. Just because I don't know what's going on doesn't mean it's a bad film and it's why I give it a 3star. I don't want to put anybody off something they might like.
(Has a USA release with some extras.)
Extras nil just trailers. UK release.
5 people found this helpful
on 1 January 2015
boring - unless you enjoy seeing what goes on in a drug befuddled mind!
on 10 May 2010
I ordered this from Amazon a few years ago - before the DVD cover art was available. I had to return it as it was not the 1973 British chiller with Christopher Lee, Herbert Lom, Joan Collins et al. Some of these players are STILL listed by Amazon as being in this movie.

So be warned - this is not the 70s British horror film which I believe has still not had a DVD release anywhere.
2 people found this helpful