TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 18 April 2014
I've been a fan of Christine Feehan's Carpathian series since the beginning, collecting each paperback as it's released. They were my first foray into paranormal romance and I think I'll always have a certain loyalty to them which, often more than the stories themselves, will keep me reading. The earlier stories are, in my opinion, the best. Because there was a time when they became a little too spiritual for my liking, and the heroes and heroines within them became a lot less likeable. Not to mentioned the authors insistence to teach us all Carpathian language, lullabies and customs, which started taking up a sizable chunk of each book. Several times with the more recent tales I wondered if it was time to walk away.

There's no denying that Feehan has created a fantastic world, where old world charm meets new world tech, and of course we all love to get swept up into a frenzy with the exploits of her heroic, stoic, dominant and strong Carpathian Hunters. But 24 books in and it's clear from the direction of this novel, Dark Lycan, that the author is looking for new ways to keep the stories fresh and exciting.

In book #10, Dark Symphony she tried to introduce the Leopard People, which didn't seem to go down very well; Byron and his lifemate were the first time I couldn't engage with the characters as much as I wanted to, and for a lifemate, I didn't the female lead very likeable.

However way back in Book #7, Dark Legend, we met a young human girl called Skyler, destined to become the lifemate of an ancient warrior, Dimitri; and it's their story I've been hanging out for all this time. Dark Lycan is not their story, but they do feature in it and it does lay the groundwork for them. Including a taster of Dark Wolf, at the end.

As for Dark Lychan ... Well, it was lovely to meet up with some old friends and see how everyone was doing with their lifemates and children. It was also great to see the Carpathians coming together to work as a people, rather than have just one-on-one battles between the vampire and the hunter. Fenris Dalka and Tatijana Dragonseeker are very likeable main characters and went through all the ceremonies and rituals of claiming one another, although I felt their attraction was rushed because so many other aspects of the story were being packed in. And so much of the story included so many other characters we've met in previous novels that it felt like the author spent a little too much time trying to remind her readers of all the family connections. So I have to wonder how much more life this series has in it. With Dark Lycan we see the emergence of two new species, where both carpathian and vampire blood mix with wolf and as Dark Wolf is next in line, it looks like we'll be following they path for a while. Dark Lycan gets three stars as I did enjoy it, but I have even greater hopes for what comes next.

Dark Wolf is book #25 and the next in series--I can't wait to get my hands on it!
on 19 December 2013
Yet another fantastic novel up in the Carpathian Mountain where we meet lifemates Fenris a Guardian Sange Rau a mix of Lycan & Carpathian & Tatiana Dragonseeker & their siblings Dimitri & Bronnie also the ever so powerful Skyler Dimitri's lifemate & Bruce to the girls though she is human. Then there is also Lycan Zev who are all helping kill some vampire Sange Rau & Werewolves. Watch this space for more of All these new Characters & the rest of the Carpathian Family ;:-D
on 30 March 2017
loved it for all those readers who like vampires read and enjoy
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 4 September 2013
Action , hot sex and new enemies still keeping the old enemies in mind though ,gripped all the way and now impatiently awaiting dark wolf .....fantastic adventure
on 6 September 2013
Another great book can't wait for the next one with summer and Dimitri not till next year way to long to wait
on 21 January 2014
I have been put off this authors books of late, she used to be an automatic buy but not anymore I'm afraid, it's read the sample and see where we go. I gave up on dark predator, and after reading reviews on dark storm I didn't have the heart to even try it. Anyway I really wanted to read dimitri's and skylars book, but I read a review somewhere that this book is important to read dark lycan first and they were correct. In my opinion feehan is back on tract with this book, she introduced a brilliant new twist to the series, the sange rau vampire/wolf mix, and lycan/carpathian guardians of all. I really liked fen and tatijana story and with the new twist I thought the book was really good.i can't wait to read dark wolf now. I've not given up on this series but once in a while she does come out with a book I just don't like.

Kindle locations on this books stops at 83%, so beware if your reading on kindle the rest of the book is filled with carpathian healing chants, appendix one and two, and I see no reason for this even having to be there, it also has a sample on dark wolf at the end.

The only thing I would also of liked to see was the text in italic, when the couple was talking telepathically, she has done this with all of her books, but not this one, whether it's just on the kindle, I don't know, can't say for paperback, but I do like it, so we can tell they were having a conversation, it just suddenly seemed to jump to telephatic talk with no warning,
on 5 September 2013
Loved this book! I was hooked from the very beginning and by half way through you wouldn't have been able to pry the book out my hands even if a truck hit me!

The relationship between Fen and Tatijana reminded me strongly of the relationship between Razvan and Ivory (who are one of my favourite Carpathian couples ever). Fen was totally accepting of his lifemate and never tried to dominate her and Tatijana was fiercely protective of Fen and very courageous, especially when you consider what her life was like before she was freed from the ice-caves.

This book focuses heavily on the Lycans and Lycan-Carpathian mixes, it explains a lot about the Lycan culture, beliefs and their lives and it was great to finally meet this previously elusive species...

This series just gets better and better! Honestly, I'm trying not to gibber on and on about it like a complete idiot! But...
There were plenty of updates (and involvement) from previous Carpathian couples, we got to properly meet Bronnie - Tatijana's twin sister and I think it's fairly obvious from this book who her lifemate is going to be, but I won't say it here as I don't want to spoil things for those who haven't read it yet.

We also get to see a lot of Dimitri in this book and gain a deeper understanding as to his relationship with Skylar.
The cliff-hanger ending made me twitchy but then I remembered the next book - Dark Wolf - is out in January and therefore we don't have too long to wait for that to be sorted out and I just know after reading the first chapter of Dark Wolf that Dimitri and Skylar's book is going to knock the beejeezus out of me and leave me clamouring for the final book in this trilogy within the Dark Series.

The world of the Carpathians is changing and it makes me incredibly nervous... but I'm enjoying the ride regardless...

4 ½ out of 5 stars!

P.S. Chapter one of Dark Wolf was at the end of the UK Kindle edition of Dark Lycan.
I don't know about other editions.

P.P.S. I just need to rant about one little thing that really annoys me about the newer Dark releases... The appendixes on the Carpathian language!! I'm sure some people find it interesting, but I would rather have the book end at 95-100% on the Kindle meter not at 85% with 10% of the file being that drivel... But that was the only downside for me :-)
on 27 September 2013
Right let me firstly state I am a complete Feehan Fan! To the point of "E - calm down!" Honestly I am! However the last 2 books bored me to tears and then I skipped the very last one. I could tell you exactly whats coming up on the next chapter, how the male will be, how the female will be ... all in all a bit boring, been there done that, rehash of previous stories. Should I waste 8Euro on a book I know what the outcome is and can find out on Goodreads reviews? Nah! Sorry! Call me a jaded reader as I am!

So before I get absolutely lynched I will state again I was GAGGING to get Dark Lycan being a huge Feehan Fan since like ever and that my favorite couple Dim and Skyler is the next book. I for the reasons above went against better judgement and bought it.

Oh dear! (NO Spoilers)

Ok - first thing wrong. All the grammar and conversion from the manuscript to the kindle reader is off. There is no "italics" to indicate mind talk and no proper grammar for the Carp language. FRUSTRATING!! Only after you read it and are mid way through the next paragraph do you cop its MIND TALK! GAHHH! So after several e-mails to Amazon I still have a botched copy on my kindle. It doesn't matter if its Amazons fault, FIX IT and get your readers happy and I may actually finish it.

The story.....Lycans.....odd flower thing that freaked me out (Goodreads the last book - AHHHHHHH FLOWER!! Weird!) ....skipped 6 chapters...yes that's where I thought the story was going.......OHHHH!!! A Preview of Skylar and Dim at the back!! EXCITING! Read that. (7 times so far!) Not finished Dark Lycan. Between knowing the ending mid-way and the disruption of the grammar issues I just can't be bothered.

Will I get Dim and Skyler - ABSOLUTELY!

Will I buy any more after that - no. Pity as I just love the books and they introduced me to PNR and UF. I'll be sad to leave the series but I'm not wasting hard earned money on stories I know the outcome off after chapter 2. I cant bring myself to give it a 1* as I'm such a fan so it gets 2**'s!

Please Christine - change it up a bit!

Namaste!
on 16 January 2014
I have read a lot of Christine Feehan. But for me there was just something lacking about this book. It just did not grab me as she usually does. Its's been a few weeks since I read it and to be honest I don't remember too much of the story. Tatijana and Fenris were OK as a couple, but for me a bit bland!
I wish CF would give up on the Carpathian language etc. she has been using up pages upon pages about at the end.
on 31 December 2013
I adore this series, but yes, they are repetitive. Dominant man, untouched female, rituals, spells, healing chants, blood exchanges and so on.. But I love the Carpathians! So........who cares! I still thoroughly enjoyed Dark Lycan. Lots and lots of action in this one, less romance to be honest. But with the introduction of the Lycans, it has steered this series down a different route, which is quite exciting and something new. Personally I can't wait to read Dimintri and Skyler's story.
There is a lot packed in here, the plot thickens. If you're a fan of Feehan and the Dark Series you know what to expect, but I think this one is full of surprises. Enjoy.