- Amazon Students Members Get an Extra 10% Off Selected Books Here's how (terms and conditions apply)
Daodejing (Oxford World's Classics) Paperback – 15 Oct 2008
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Special offers and product promotions
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
About the Author
Edmund Ryden teaches at Fujen University in Taiwan. He was the first director of the John Paul II Peace Institute at Fujen University and also teaches human rights at Soochow University.
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta) (May include reviews from Early Reviewer Rewards Program)
Overall, the introduction is great, covering the history, significance, and different versions of the Daodejing that have come down to us through history. The introduction, unfortunately, is also the best part of the book.
I found Edmund Ryden's translation to be overly scholarly, dry, and lacking in rhythm and pace that I have read in other translations. It just doesn't flow as a poetic work. Although the notes for each chapter do a very good job at explaining each chapter, the translation doesn't always seem to match up with the explanation.
The Daodejing itself is one of my favorite books. This is by far my least favorite translation.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Ancient History & Civilisation > China
- Books > History > Asia > China
- Books > History > Historical Study & Educational Resources > Study & Teaching
- Books > History > Middle East
- Books > Languages > By Language > Chinese
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Other Religions > Taoism
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Academic Philosophy
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Philosophy > Non-Western
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Archaeology > By Region