on 16 August 2017
I am a native English speaker trying to learn Danish (for two years now). I bought this book because I thought it would be more helpful to learn the Danish grammar in a language I could understand instead of Danish. After a year with the book, I'm not very happy with it.

The problem is that it is trite and doesn't explain many observations and is missing many examples. The result is that I become confused and frustrated. I found a Danish grammar book that helped me understand Modal verbs almost immediately. (Grammatikken by Barbara Fischer-Hansen & Ann Kledal, ISBN: 978-87-7607-311-4)

The final straw was the book's explanation on modal verbs (section 6.3). The author provides tables for the modal verbs, but doesn't provide examples or usage suggestions for all tenses. For example: må (present), måtte (past), måttet (past participle). He only gives examples for "må". I have a hard time understanding how I could possibly use måtte or måttet because I don't think there is an English equivalent. As further explained, må is used to describe Logical Necessity ("she must have left her bag here."), Hope/wish ("may he soon be at peace."), Permission ("you may (not) walk on the grass."), or Command ("you really must go now."). However, in the previous page, må is used as something that doesn't fit any of those ("I will have to go home now.")

Maybe my frustration is also brought on by this infamously difficult language. But I don't think this book is helping and that's kind of the reason why I bought it. At this point in my path to Danish proficiency, I think this book distracts from the feel of the language. I feel like this language can't be learned in using academic methods because there is no consistency and therefore must be felt.

The book is impressively packed with information, but it reads more like a technical specification than a guide. I wasn't expecting a For Dummies style writing, but this book is nearly the opposite extreme of that bloated style.
on 1 April 2012
As it says in the title this is essential for understanding Danish grammar. I have been to Danish language schools but they don't cover everything. This book is brilliant for improving written Danish and it is so much easier to understand because it is compared to English. This book has helped explain to me stuff my teachers cannot (I am the queen of difficult questions :p)

UPDATE This book helped me pass the Danish A HF exam which is essential if you want to go to university in Denmark, I actually recieved a better grade than many of my Danish classmates!! This is definitley a recommended book for those who want to write decent Danish.
9 people found this helpful
on 21 December 2015
Definitely don't use this as your main study recource, use this as a reference to another course. It clarifies allof the grammar rules and rules of pronunciation of which Danish is notorious for having many. Perfect book to acompany a course textbook.
2 people found this helpful
on 10 May 2016
Does exactly what it says on the tin. A good grammar guide, well arranged and reflective of modern Danish. Well-translated examples and just the right amount of detail to guide the English-speaking learner of Danish.
on 27 November 2015
My Danish is better. Takes it to a more polished level
on 31 October 2013
Amazing quality and the book is really useful. love studying danish with it cause it provides good explanation to the grammar etc
on 12 December 2010
Who knew I'd ever be so excited to get a grammar book. I hate grammar. But, even more, I hate how confused I am trying to learn Danish. And this book makes a huge difference. It's clear and simple, but very complete. It's well organized. It's easy to read (considering it's a grammar book...). But mostly, it actually makes sense of the language, and provides rules! Trying to understand Danish prepositions as an English speaker is really hard-- they have over 20 pages of sensible help on this. Don't try to learn the language from this book, or even read it through. But DO get it as your primary reference aid (after a dictionary) in learning Danish, especially if you speak English.
11 people found this helpful
on 7 February 2014
Very useful for me to understand Danish Grammar. It is well illustrated in text and good to understand. would recommend it.