Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
|Print List Price:||£11.99|
Save £7.25 (60%)
Daniel Defoe and the Bank of England: The Dark Arts of Projectors Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
I really enjoyed the authors' light approach to the subject yet the profundity of the parallels that they make had an accumulative impact on me as I went through the book. I picked up the parallels between banking and novel writing as creating a willingness to believe, to risk-take, to indulge in deceit and to create limitless possibilities. And when I paused to think where banking went after the repeal of legislation like the Glass-Steagall Act in the States and the appearance of negative interest rates in Europe & Japan, those parallels struck home. The only thing I could not work out is why there was such a long preamble dwelling on definitions. The contrast between the strictness of that content and the lightness in what followed made me feel I was emerging from the fog to appreciate distant views. Such definitions will be appropriate in a thesis but I'm not sure it's needed here. A Good Read and that's not just because my namesake was a teller in the bank of England in 1694, although, if it became known that the Irish Downes's were behind the creation of that English bastion, that might be a tool to poke holes in simplistic views of history.
It does have a slightly academic feel to it but it is a good story and extremely well written.
If you have an interest in 17th and 18th Century history and literature I think you will really like this book.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Biographies & Histories > Business & Economic History
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Biographies & Histories > Company Histories
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Biographies & Histories > Finance and Stock Market History
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Economics > History
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Professional Finance > Banking
- Books > History > Europe > Great Britain
- Books > Poetry, Drama & Criticism > History & Criticism
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Business & Finance > Finance
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Business & Finance > Industries & Professions > Banks & Banking
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > Literary Criticism & Theory