Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Learn more Learn more Shop Kindle Learn More Pre-order now Shop now Learn more Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now

on 17 January 2016
I bought this as a present for my Dad's birthday, he loved it!

He especially liked the knot tying, den building and outdoors parts. We spend hours going through the book, it brought back some wonderful memories, which we loved hearing.

We took the book out to a forest with my son, so he and my Dad used it to build dens (although it looked nothing like in the book).

He is chuffed with the book and it has been great for my Dad and son to bond using ideas in it.
on 7 August 2017
The fact that this book was such a success with our eldest grandson when we gave him a copy when he reached age eleven, was the reason we bought this second copy for our youngest grandson for his elevnth birhday.
on 11 March 2013
Hunt and get a second hand copy! It does sum up the heady ideas of Boy Scouts and halcyon days. Especially for those like mysefl who never got to go to Boy Scouts.

Wonderfully handy for desperate fathers.

Okay i would say it is a rainy day book. I mean in the sense that you are stuck and the kids are glued to the television and you are at your wits end. It has handy things in there. Okay granted the copy is a UK edition. I am secrectly hoping there are country specific editions because like Trivial Pursuits it really does need it.

Some craft, some out door living how to build a fire (although I have to wonder about pyromania and the hints and tips). I do suggest parental supervision. Some history and explaintion of such. A jumping off point as history is subjective. But on the whole useful and goddamit it might get kids away from the television, computer and gameboy PSI whatever number. Be a man and a boy family bonding is good. This book helps with this.

Start you own adventure especially if you are having a Blyton moment...
on 16 July 2013
I first saw an American edition of ‘The Dangerous Book for Boys’ at a friend's house and immediately I was reminded of 'The Boy's Book of Things to Make and Do' from 1960 which I used to have on continuous loan from the local library as a sprog (first-former) at grammar school. Also the first page lists essential kit, which, except for the marble and fish hooks, is already my personal essential kit that has travelled all over the world with me for years, with a Swiss army penknife at the top. So of course I had to buy ‘The Dangerous Book for Boys’ for myself and was interested to see that my copy is a British edition, apparently the original version. For good measure I managed to find and buy ‘The Boy's Book of Things to Make and Do’ at the same time.

‘The Dangerous Book for Boys’ is a truly eclectic and delightful compendium of things to do and information. I have dipped into it at random and have already learnt many new facts, trivia and useful hints covering a wide spectrum. Very progressively for a boys’ book there is even a short section on girls! Trying to mention all the contained topics would lead to a very long list about as exciting to read as a telephone directory, so I recommend getting the book instead.

On the negative side, I have already noticed two errors in scientific topics: 3 hours ahead of Greenwhich time places you at longitude 45 degrees east only, not 45 degrees east or 45 degrees west, and volts are analogous to pressure in a water pipe, not the speed of the water. Also, although perhaps to be expected for a British edition, I find it a bit too heavy on British history. If there is ever to be a revised edition I would suggest expanding the Famous Battles section to include the defeat of the Turks at Vienna in 1683 and the Polish-Soviet Battle of Warsaw of 1920. The latter is perhaps not well known enough to be classed as famous but it should be - Viscount D'Abernon accurately called it the eighteenth decisive battle in the history of the world. Had either of these two battles gone the other way, Europe, British history and probably ‘The Dangerous Book for Boys’ would be completely different.
on 24 November 2017
Purchased one for nephew but his uncle loved it so much I've ordered him his own copy, lots of interesting facts, hoping it will keep them quiet and out of trouble on Christmas day!
on 4 October 2013
Not sure how "dangerous" it is, really, but it certainly is excellent. All our family use it - it's great as a reference tool as well as for inspiration of things to do. There's everything here - history, grammar, stone skimming, treehouse building, maps, literature, true stories, knots....

My only criticism is that it could do with an index as well as a contents page. But really, it's so good that it deserves 5 stars even without an index.
on 14 May 2014
It's a nice idea - and helps fill a gap, now that kids are not so often involved in things such are Cubs, Scouts & Cadets and the great outdoors as they once were. I probably read more of it than my son though. I think the information provided could be improved quite a lot and perhaps the presentation made more appealing to the target audience: kids. But its a good start!
on 13 March 2008
The Dangerous Book for Boys shows how much better a book can be compared to videogames or activities that involve being sat down in front of a TV. Illustrating fun, creative activities and promoting outdoor exercise as well as a variety of games that will put readers' mind to the test, this book is simply perfect.

To top it up, it isn't all just fun and games, it is also educational thanks to the interesting historical and geographical facts, which top up the readers' experience with knowledge.

I strongly recommend this intelligent, beautifully illustrated, very entertaining book that will satisfy everyone, not just boys.
3 people found this helpful
on 29 November 2013
I've brought a copy of this for every man in my life and without exception they all love it. The information inside is great, loads of ideas of things to do that may never get done but it's fun to sit on a wet Sunday afternoon and think about doing by diving into the book. I've told my friend and she's also brought copies for Dad, partner, nephew and so on. It seems to be a universal hit.
on 13 November 2014
Purchased this when it came out for my two older grandsons, who loved it. Now another grandson has reached the grand age of 8 and I have purchased this for him. It is a wonderful informative book to bring back the sense of adventure and thirst for knowledge so essential to a boy's development.