on 2 May 2017
This is a great pageturner. The chapters are very short but it's best read, in true crime fiction style, by immersing yourself. Well plotted with believable characters and butter- soft dialogue. And a shocking, but satisfying ending. Hannah Weybridge is a complex, compelling and very likeable protaganist. I very much look forward to reading more about her in the sequel. Highly recommended.
on 26 April 2017
Dancers in the Wind is a highly innovative and compelling novel from Anne Coats. This book is a mixture of crime thriller slash investigative journalism, with even a dash of romance, that is both gritty and realistic. I loved it.

The novel is set in 1993, and we firstly meet Hannah Weybridge, a freelance journalist and single mother to a young baby, as she is on her way to Kings Cross to interview Princess, a young prostitute, for a national magazine. While interviewing her, she begins to learn of what reality is really like for Princess and for the other women working on the street, and has her eyes well a truly opened. Something changes within Hannah, and her life is soon to be entwined with Princess's and the seedier side of life on the London streets.

Hannah is an incredibly likeable character. She is a mother, and I instantly warned to this nurturing side of her nature. Her maternal instinct most definitely kicked in when she met Princess. However, she also has a steely side, a perceptiveness about her and a determination to find the truth, no matter the cost, in her quest to find out who is responsible for the recent murders of several prostitutes within the Kings Cross area.

Princess for me was the most interesting character, barely a woman, her life had been ruined from a very young age. The way in which her descriptions of life on the street were described to me as a reader, were very well written, they appeared very much as fact, and it was apparent to me that the author had done much research upon the subject.

What completely gripped me and made me gasp for breath, was when Princess is brutally attacked and left for dead by one of her punters. In her hour of need she turns to Hannah, literally turning up on her doorstep in the middle of the night, bloodied and broken. The description of Princess in this state, and of how Hannah cares for her, had me in tears.

We also meet DI Tom Jordan, a police Inspector for the vice squad. He is interviewed by Hannah with regards to his role in the vice squad for her article, but just as Princess becomes part of her life, so does Tom. Here is a man who is handsome but guarded. He seems genuine, in how he treats Hannah and in what he says about keeping the prostitutes safe on the street, but can Hannah trust him? This is the big question in this book, issues of trust when linked to authority. While reading I very quickly made my mind up about him, although I was kept in the dark until the very end. What I also loved was the chemistry between them on the page. For me, they made the perfect couple.

This book is not an easy read, but then it is not meant to be, it is a book about raising awareness of these vulnerable women, that they are someone's daughter, someone's mother. They are humanised, they are made to count, their lives matter. This is a crime thriller, but one that asks many questions about how these vulnerable women are treated by society and those who are in a position of power to protect them.

I highly recommend Dancers in the Wind, it is a deeply moving book, and I am very much looking forward to book two in the series which is to be published soon.
2 people found this helpful
on 21 April 2017
Dancers in the Wind is the perfect crime thriller. Set in London’s King’s Cross in the early 90's it grips you from the very first pages with the the murder of a local prostitute. This is not a solitary act but the latest in a series of gruesome killings.
The story follows Hannah Weybridge, a freelance journalist who is drawn into the subsequent police investigation after writing a feature on the areas red light district. She is sucked into a life that is poles apart from her own and in the process uncovers police incompetency and a media cover-up, as her own moral compass drives her forward to discover the truth.
The style of writing by Anne Coates is effortless. She has the ability to drawn you in. Her descriptives captures the 90's to perfection, you feel as though you are melting into the pages, an unnoticed bystander on the periphery of each scene.
I am a huge fan of TV crime series, Prime Suspect, Broadchurch and Vera to name a few and I can most definitely see Dancers in the Wind following in these most venerated footsteps.
on 9 April 2017
Once I started to read ‘Dancers in the Wind’ I couldn’t put it down. Hannah Weybridge is a tough and thoughtful lead and the opening chapters take us with her, straight into the action. The depth of character, especially for those that play a minor role, and the sense of atmosphere that Anne Coates creates in both the heat of King’s Cross and Hannah’s quiet London home is the highlight of this novel.

I was very grateful for the peak into book number two that followed! Very much looking forward to reading the second in the series.
on 7 April 2017
Excellent holiday read, would recommend!
on 6 April 2017
Really gripping. A very good thriller.
on 6 April 2017
For anyone who rarely reads fiction(like me), this is a great book to start with! It is easy to read, with short chapters and grips your attention. Would love to read more of this author's work!
on 16 March 2017
Anne Coates ‘Dancers in the Wind’ is one of those books that is quite difficult to categorise. Yes, there is a cop and yes, there is a murder enquiry but it is not your run of the mill crime thriller. Neither is it your average investigative mystery despite the freelance journalist and tabloid hacks.
It is, in fact, a cleverly written, nicely paced and utterly believable story. Set in London in the recent past, there is a familiarity to the setting; that sense of place almost a character in its own right. In certain moments, I felt a sense of nostalgia for times past. In others, I felt a palpable relief that some things have changed. I was reminded how the telling of a story has changed in our more technology-driven present. I was also reminded that some things we might like to see changed are still with us in the present day.
As the book progresses, each character asks the fundamental question, who can I trust? With their answer, each character shapes their response to events and their place in the narrative. Motivations and actions are not always explicitly drawn into the main narrative but a line on blackmail here and personal investigation there invites the reader to assemble the building blocks and keeps the novel interesting.
With Coates’ cast, as in life, what is thought does not necessarily resemble what is said or what is done. Her portrayal of human nature is, I think, well observed. She embraces conflicting and often irrational emotions never making the characters’ decisions overly straight forward or clear cut. As a reader, one must decide whether or not to believe in coincidence just as the characters, in their part, must decide how to act on them. It is easy to get caught in the action and you may find yourself wondering what you would do in a character’s place.
I highly recommend the book.
on 12 March 2017
A page turner! Loved the London setting !
on 8 March 2017
I really enjoyed this book and read it fairly quickly as I was quite gripped by it. The characters are well written and the story is well developed with plenty of twists and turns.

I would definitely like to read more by this author.

I received a copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.