on 12 June 2017
This book explains in great detail how to create dance music. It is clear and at times it is compelling. I feel that it flows easily from topic to topic. I am a complete novice to dance music and it's production but I feel this book takes you from the start with very little knowledge to helping you build a clear understanding of how dance music is produced. Thank you Rick Snoman for inspiring me and giving me the courage to even believe that I can understand this topic.
on 29 October 2015
A good book, worth the read, I took it on holiday :-)
on 20 August 2017
Perfect book!
on 21 November 2004
I passed over this book a couple of times, thinking "oh no, not another lame book with an explaination of basic midi and how to wire up your studio".
I finally took the plunge after reading some of the other reviews - and I have to say, although I consider myself extremely adept around the studio, there is plenty of good stuff in this book well beyond the boring basics of how a mixing desk works.
Plenty of stuff about sound shaping, creative uses of compression and effects, plus an excellent disection of typical dance music genres, including tips on how to get the right sound out of your gear for each genre.
This book does contain some padding (what is the website section meant to be about... completely pointless!), but I'd say well over 50% of this book is great stuff which will inspire and empower you to improve the sound of your tracks immenseley.
The section on mastering is essential reading, as it truly does contain information from an industry professional which you would have to pay good money for at one of those lame midi-school type places.
You will not regret this purchase, unless you are already Sasha or Oakenfold.
on 10 February 2017
This is a perfect manual for the subject in question. Highly informative and inspiring. I have read quite a few books on the subject to date and no others have come close to earning the accolade of "Authoritative Textbook" than this one has. Please don't take that as meaning that this work is a dry read - it certainly isn't.

If I had to limit myself to one reference book as a musician interested in this musical genre - then this would be it.
on 19 June 2004
I don't like reading books on "how to write dance music" because I always feel that you can end up writing in the same style as the author.
I don't think this is going to happen with this book.
Its different from others because it doesn't offer 'step by step' instructions on how to write and mix music instead it describes what the equipment does and how it's used and then offers some creative tips before leaving the rest up to you.
The dance genre part, which I was most concerned about (for the above reason), is covered in the same way. It's difficult to describe these chapters but it's more musically orientated than the typical "place this here and that there". Instead it fills you with inspiration that I think is more essential for those learning how to write dance music (for those with no musical knowledge theres an excellent music theory guide near the beginning of the book too).
I also have to mention the chapter on programming synthesizers because its excellent. You're walked through how to program leads, basses, drums and so on and the CD even has an audio track going through the stages of programming from beginning to end!
I don't usually get excited over books on this subject, but it's got me hooked and it's one that's earned a permanent place in my bookshelf.
on 13 January 2005
This book is amazing. It is perfect for a starter or intermediate producer.
If your willing to read it all, you will learn so much, and your music will change alot. It teaches you everything, all about different genres, bit of music thoery, basic acoustics, equipment and software, mixing, mastering, website designing and alot more!
The CD rom tutorial is good also.
Im so glad i bought this book. Its Excellent.
on 1 August 2009
As you probably know the first book was a huge success, receiving a number of awards and also masses of critical acclaim most of which you can read right here on Amazon. I'm not going to repeat that praise here because you can look it up yourself instead I'm going to concentrate on the differences for those of us who already own the first.

Having already have most of the pages fall out through the bad binding on the first book I decided to take the leap and purchase this one instead.

The good news is the binding has been considerably improved and after owning it and flicking through it for a couple of months it seems to be holding itself together very well.

Some of the chapters have been changed around and there's a new chapter on recording instruments alongside two new chapters in the genre section; drum n bass and UK Garage. While UK Garage is old I do appreciate the authors honesty in his approach. He admits he doesn't like bassline and since this genre developed from UK Garage, he approaches that instead and leaves tips in the text to develop into bassline.

This is where perhaps the biggest different between the editions lie. All the demo software and the crappy mixes that haunted the CD of the first edition have been replaced with a number of very professional sounding mixes. After a few minutes of playing, the author comes in with narrative on each of these tracks explaining the tools and methods he used to produce them. I found this particularly interesting, being able to relate the information in the book with the audio on the CD.

The few mistakes from first edition (particularly the music theory chapters) have been ironed out but in their place are a couple of new minor mistakes such as date and year mix-ups. These are minor issues and certainly don't detract from the books wealth of information.

I've come across the odd naysayers on forums, and there's one right here on Amazon, but they are few and far between and you need to ignore that noise. On visiting the authors page, some of the tracks from the CD have been released commercially so while the music itself may not suit everyone's tastes, especially those who consider themselves "underground", the theory contained within the pages proves itself to be sound advice.

The first edition was my go to reference book and this has replaced it (mostly due to bad binding on the first). It quite simply is the best book available for anyone looking to produce dance music.

I've given this book five stars because if you don't own either edition and you're looking to make the type of music you typically hear from the Ministry of Sound you need this book. But if you already own the first edition and its still in one piece you may need to consider whether the few new chapters and the narrative on the CD are worth it and on that score I'd give it 4 stars.
22 Comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 July 2009
It gave me nice overview of dance music production in general... In my opinion, really helpful for anyone who wants to make electronic related music and can't afford expensive courses...
on 2 December 2004
This is a book that just had to be written! It covers all aspects of dance music creation, from beginner to advanced, and its totally choca with great hints and tips. Some genres aren't covered such as drum 'n'bass, but I would say this will be in volume 2. However its extremely comprehensive and I would recommend it to anyone. This will become the bible of dance music production!