on 23 December 2011
Greart artwork (pencil drawings with colour showing muscles), good awareness and well thought out study showing internal muscular and skeleton structure. Gives advice and exercices for the all the joints that will strengthen the dynamic posture giving graceful movement.
I am sure dancers learning and studying will get a lot of required information to intergrate into training as well as those who appreciate watching dance, you will understand some of the training exercises involved to make the dance. Those with general interests or involved in bodywork, exercise, fitness and human body movement and capability, like my self, will also enjoy the knowlege gained from this book . I have greatly appreciated this book and other anatomy books of the series published by Human Kinetics. Over 20 years my practised interests are Yoga, Kung Fu, Alexander Technique, Feldenkrais, - and portrait painting, so good to see movement in artwork! I hope a Martial Arts Anatomy book will be added to the series.
on 12 February 2017
Useful and anatomically informative book with illustrations of anatomy, including muscles and alignment of torso and limbs used for execution of movement and exercises and the dance movements/positions each exercise will benefit. There is nothing in this book that I disliked. I would recommend the book for amateur dancers as well as more experienced dancers and teachers wishing to improve their/student's strength and technique. Rating is just below five stars because I would like more on effective stretching.
on 10 August 2013
Clearly laid out with detailed diagrams of specific muscles used in specific, mainly ballet, exercises. Useful for students of dance A level and above.
on 16 August 2013
Great book if you are a student or teacher of dance. Great to read through to update knowledge on body and joints
on 10 October 2014
This is an excellent book. I am an adult, university educated, novice dance student with no prior knowledge of anatomy but this book gives lovely clear illustrations and explanations and with a bit of application I have learned so much about the workings of my own body.
Doing the excercises has made a huge difference to the quality of my movement, but care has to be taken to do them accurately and as per the guidance in the text, to get the full benefit. For this reason, I suspect most students will want to use this book in conjunction with the guidance of an anatomy versed professional teacher.
on 31 October 2015
Very useful with clear diagrams of individual muscles and muscle groups, instructions for application of exercises,contra-indications and how exercises can be used in dance. It demonstrates just what a miraculous machine the human body is.
on 20 March 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and have used some of the training ideas on my own students with great success.
Would thoroughly recommend.
on 4 February 2013
This is a book that a dancer / dance teacher should have. Great to refer to if you have any questions of which muscle works during a certain movement.
on 18 April 2013
I found the book very interesting and informative. The illustrations were clear and I would recommend this to anyone
requiring a deep knoweldge
on 12 February 2013
I bought this for my wife (she is a professional dancer)... She thinks its wonderful with all the drawings which explains everything clearly.