Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 25 April 1999
I honestly tried to finish this book. The writing was wonderful, and it felt decidedly medieval, but I couldn't get the fact that the heroine, who had only been spurned by her love ONCE, made it seem like she'd tried to love many times without avail. I mean, I'd understand a certain hesitancy for her to trust the man she thought had left her, but she goes too far!! She (the heroine) is totally irrational in her refusal of the hero. The side characters were interesting to say the least; I didn't get into the book as well as I could have (in other words, could not finish it) but they seemed to be good. Perhaps the story was good, but the heroine in the first half (which is where I stopped) just was too resistant: our hero was trying to win her back, admits to being mistaken, says he loves her (how many times do you hear that in the beginning of the book), wants desperately to get her away from her scheming aunt and uncle, and she says no! *sigh* Didn't like the book, and wouldn't recommend it. I would, however, be willing to try other books by her because I liked her writing STYLE. :-)
Sarah Pearson
on 3 May 1999
I disagree with both prior reviews of this book, because I think they miss the point. Maybe this book isn't historically accurate, but it has the ingredients that make it utterly charming. A take on a Cindrella story, it draws you back to your childhood, and fulfils the longing for the Knight in Shining Armour. And yet Claire Delacroix brings in a couple of nineties touches - the hero doesn't have any money, and the heroine saves the day! (I'll say no more...) I like that Alys didn't immediately throw herself into Rourkes arms - I can understand the hesitency in believing that it wasn't all too good to be true. The characters are engaging, and the side plots too are intriguing. Not the most deep profound book perhaps, but sweet, charming, and great to curl up in bed with. I grinned and sighed my way through it...
on 16 June 1999
Delacroix is a very talented writer, however, it felt as though she was attempting to make certain the required number of pages were filled. I skipped about 50 pages and was still aware of the plotline. Burke was toooo wishy washy for a knighht, Alys' character didn't come alive for me at all. There were some feelings of life in the middle ages, however, the plot could have been in 1999 and played out virtually the same way. I'm all for happy endings, but this was a bit too contrived. THE PRINCESS, also written by DeLacroix is fabulous!!! Strong characters, great plot. Be sure to read that one. And, I will of course read the third part of the trilogy, and hope, with fingers crossed, the charcters jump out at me!
on 5 April 1999
This is definitely a fairy tale. A medieval castle with no guards, and there is not even a hint of medieval life at all. Even the Cook is as literate and eloquent as the lord of the Castle.
I just imagine this is all in a parallel universe and continue reading.
Things get worse when the hero does a lot of stupid things that compromises the heroine's reputation, and she recipocrates in kind by grumbling and whining but never actually doing anything to rise above her miserable lot.
The writing style is never interesting or engaging. Hence, I'm bored flat by Chapter 14.
on 28 August 1999
This is a must read book. I found the story to be exciting. I must disagree with Ms. Giggles review above. What does a castle without guards have to do with this story? NOTHING! I plan on reading The Princess and the Heiress now.
on 17 May 1999
The Damsel is one of the best books that I've read in a while. Guarantee to set your heart beating. If you like Cinderalla and happy endings, this is it!
on 15 April 2015