Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 22 Nov 2011 00:39:16 GMT
Last edited by the author on 22 Nov 2011 16:18:40 GMT
JASON M says:
Can anyone tell if the DVD copy in the set is region free also?

Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Nov 2011 07:59:31 GMT
J. Martin says:
No, only Region 2, like most UK DVDs.

Posted on 7 Dec 2011 19:22:34 GMT
Joey says:
I am returning this now that I see the DVD is Region 2. Not my fault it's opened either- Amazon or Warner should have been more clear about the specific contents.

Posted on 13 Dec 2011 14:44:35 GMT
Bob Drake says:
Warner owes no explanation. DVDs are a problem because the European TV standard is PAL and the U.S. standard is NTSC. Even if the DVDs were "region free" they would still have the PAL/NTSC problem on a US TV. (The DVD would "play" but you would not see a picture.) In the U.S., buy a cheap DVD player like the region-free Phillips models that allows you also to set the output to NTSC/60Hz (vs. PAL/50Hz). Most European panels will play either 50/60Hz signals, but U.S. panels may not.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2011 14:50:14 GMT
Joey says:
No, I'm not going to go out and buy a DVD player for one DVD that was inappropriately/incompletely described on Amazon. Besides, I wanted the DVD so I could watch it on my iMac. But Apple stupidly only lets you change the region 5 times. AND the digital download is only good in the UK, despite this being an "international edition". So they're just going to have to swallow it.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2011 15:11:34 GMT
Bob Drake says:
Apple is generous in letting you reset the region 5 times, but iut does allow them to sell the same product worldwide. The DVD rulebook specifies different regions for different countries. Apple MUST comply. There are ten regions for nine numbers only because Japan is Region 2 NTSC while Europe is Region 2 PAL.

A region free DVD player would allow you to order Region 2 DVDs from Amazon.co.uk and Region 4 DVDs from Australia.

The "big deal" here is that the 3D BD is region free because it is a proprietary product in the U.S. as is Avatar 3D and others. I do have a Region B BD player, but my 3D BD player is Region A only.

Posted on 13 Dec 2011 23:19:50 GMT
Joey says:
Uh... no it doesn't have to comply with anything. There is no rulebook. And if there was, it would be illegal to sell region-free DVD players, which it is not.

And older machines were able to play all DVDs and not select a region.

I HAVE discovered, however, that I can play the DVD in VLC player, which is not Apple's native player. So clearly it's a software design by apple specifically to force people to choose a region, and has nothing to do with the capability of the DVD player itself.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2011 03:13:21 GMT
Bob Drake says:
Ignorance is bliss. According to Wikipedia, "The American DVD Copy Control Association in California requires that DVD-player manufacturers incorporate the regional-playback control (RPC) system."

Region-free = hacked. It only makes sense that "world" manufacturers make one unit that can be set using an infrared beam on the production line for a particular region, and that it can be reset with the remote if the reset code is known, unless there is some sort of lock code applied. Most BD players are now really locked.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Dec 2011 02:31:33 GMT
So I am returning this set because the DVD is not Region Free and is Region 2. Amazon is sending me another set. Will that one be Region 2 also? I am still amazed that I can not buy this set in the United States so that the DVD can be the proper Region. So wierd!!!! Any advise from anyone?

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Dec 2011 02:43:27 GMT
Bob Drake says:
A DVD can be region free, but if it is European PAL encoded you still cannot play it on a US NTSC machine. The "region free" means the 3D BD will play on a US region A machine as most Warner BDs do. But chances are the next DVD will be region 2 AND PAL. BDs have a universal picture (on 1080p BDs) that is limited only by an A-B-C flag. U.S., Canada and Japan use NTSC DVDs and pretty much everyone else uses PAL DVDs. You need either a region-switchable (or settable) DVD player or a BD player to play this set.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  22 Nov 2011
Latest post:  27 Dec 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions