on 1 January 2018
Took a gamble on Jack Frost (1998: Michael Keaton et al) being a meaningless kiddie flick. Surprising satisfying and touching, a family film with a touch of magic and lots of humour. It also dared have one teen say that life without a dad sucked - political correctivism now demands we rubbish fatherhood in spite of the true sociology, and family life (thus marriage) in general. I guess in 1998 PCism wasn't so dominant. The dad, Jack Frost, combined his love of music with his love of family, trying to do the right thing amid some conflict of loves. Ironically he died by making the right choice, but (presumably) by the grace & humour of heaven next winter found himself in a snowman's body on his family's front lawn. Initially he only revealed himself to his son (Charlie) and sought to spend quality parent time with him to make up for lost time, even to the extent of risking his meltable body. As things warm up, he follows Charlie's scheme to keep his far from abominable snowman life going forever. As crunch time comes, Jack, believing that only his body will melt, realises that it's time to leave his widow (Gabby) and son to their mortal lives. Only at this end does Gabby meet Jack postmortem, and comes out with "my god" or "o God". Jack could have smilingly pointed upwards at this stage, since the film, being pro-marriage, pro-family, pro-fathers, pro-postmortem, could easily have gone just a little deeper into what C S Lewis called the Deeper Magic. A good family film of fun & frolic.
One person found this helpful
on 18 February 2013
I happened upon this movie on freeview over the Christmas period, and was particularly touched by the bubbly, family relationships portrayed between Jack Frost (Michael Keaton), his wife (Kelly Preston) and Charlie (young Joseph Cross) their son. For me, every aspect of the film took me on a light-hearted Christmas romp that set me up for the festive period. Its brief descent into tragedy was tastefully transformed into a fun-loving atmosphere that related to the father, son relationship prior to dad's untimely exit. In the opening scenes, young Joseph Cross is particularly adept in portraying a confident relationship with his contemporaries, but which understandably wanes with the loss of his father. However, the fun begins when Jack Frost (the voice of Michael Keaton) appears on the scene, diverting Charlie (Joseph Cross) from his dad's loss. Not withstanding the true meaning of Christmas, this film relates a refreshing tale that does not migrate too far from the spirit of Christmas, and I recommend and consider it to have been a worthy addition to my festive collection.
5 people found this helpful
on 29 December 2017
I bought this as it had so many good reviews. I'm sure that everyone likes different things but I found this movie to be quite dreadful. I tolerated it for 30 minutes (that I'll never get back again!), before turning it off. It's really sugary sweet and schmoltzy and nothing happens. Awful film!
on 15 January 2018
Its easy to watch, though its tad sad, so be aware if you have a loss in life, or sensitive children,though it soon picks up, its different from usual Xmas films and despite poor reviews we all like this here, children and adults
on 21 December 2017
Its alright film , dad dies , then year later is a snowman, odd story, average acting . Not Micheal Keaton at his best. Not a great movie but not a really poor. Passes the time if you are bored
on 7 August 2015
I love all things christmassey so this was a must for my collection. I love this film and although it is quite old now, my two daughters also love this film although we all cry at the end . It is funny and serious and different and very emotional. Excellent film.
One person found this helpful
on 30 January 2016
Average Christmas film, not one we would watch again & again like some.
We like to watch Christmas films throughout December to get us in the Christmassy mood and although we watched this all the way through it did not really keep our attention or make us feel particularly excited about the season!
on 14 November 2013
This extremely low-priced disc is quite SUPERB, but demands special playing conditions.
Make sure the kids and family are assembled round your DVD player in warm woolly clothing. THEN SWITCH OFF ANY FORM OF HEATING, lock your living room door and play the film complete without any interruptions. After all, you wouldn't want the air to MELT Jack would you ? - even though he is bound to melt everyone's hearts.
5 people found this helpful
on 29 July 2017
It's an okay film. Had I not seen it as a kid and loved it I wouldn't have thought twice about it. Didn't really lose much in terms of aging. As a Christmas fanatic I have a soft spot. If not a fan of Christmas look elsewhere. Good delivery and packaging
on 13 November 2017
brilliant it had to be rearranged as carrier claimed they tried delivering but they didn't but the issue is resolved now and I have my item thank you A+