Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Aug 2009 23:45:15 BDT
Hand of COD says:
Does anyone know if this will come with the crappy DRM the first one had?

Posted on 10 Aug 2009 14:48:52 BDT
R. M. Powell says:
If you hear nothing, assume that it will. I have heard it mentioned on the web that EA are starting to release non-DRM games via Steam (such as Red Alert 3 and Spore), so this may demonstrate a softening of their stance (admitting that SecureROM was a mistake would be beyond corporate philosophy). I hope this is true, as I would love to play games like Command and Conquer 3, Red Alert 3, Mass Effect, Dead Space and Spore. However, I have heard this only applies in America at the moment. Typical of modern corporate thinking to introduce something controversial without a second's thought, but take cautious steps when applying a more sensible solution.

If it stands in it's current status of SecureROM being on every EA release, I shall continue boycotting their products, and would encourage people to do so as well. It is the sole power you have as a consumer. SecureROM is malware you cannot uninstall, and an erosion of consumer rights. It doesn't matter if people only ever use 3 or 4 activations, it is still renting a game as opposed to buying one. Let EA get away with treating you like criminals, and they will introduce further restrictions somewhere down the line, knowing that your principles come second to your lust for their products.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Sep 2009 16:18:19 BDT
I. cobley says:
well at time of typing dragon age origins (another EA game) has no copy protection on the disc based version only on the digital download form EA own net store so i will assume that mass effect will have a similar have the disc in the drive protection only if this is true i will buy it if not then i will be waiting till the release it on steam !!

Posted on 27 Oct 2009 12:44:40 GMT
Ms. J. Lewis says:
Their website's FAQ currently says:

What DRM will you use for Mass Effect 2?
We will make an announcement about DRM at a later date.

So I'd recommend keeping an eye on the official website to find out more about this

Posted on 30 Oct 2009 15:17:57 GMT
A. Gerber says:
i canceld my preorder of Mass Effect 1 due to DRM. I will wait and see if they do the same mistake with part 2...

Posted on 30 Nov 2009 20:42:47 GMT
Last edited by the author on 30 Nov 2009 20:43:01 GMT
Matt Watts says:
Good news (relatively)!
Bioware/EA are releasing the game with a simple disk-check thingy, not SecuROM... still going to try getting it off Steam though.
Link: http://meforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=710074&forum=144

Posted on 25 Jan 2010 04:43:49 GMT
S. Ellmore says:
They removed DRM and opted to remove aspects of the game itself and offer them as free launch DLC. I believe they have removed a character from the game and a vehicle. When you buy the game you get a code to download them for free straight away from the "Cerberus Network".

Doing it this way is not just an anti-piracy measure, it's also designed to stop people buying used games since the code can only be used once.

I get why they are doing it as they get no profit from used game sales, but it is a bit of a arsey move on their part. Saying that, if you do buy a used copy of Mass Effect 2 some months down the line you can still buy the DLC for a nominal fee. I suppose it is preferable to installing SecureROM on your PC.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jan 2010 10:27:27 GMT
Paul braid says:
steam is laden with DRM and also removes your right to re-sale, best avoided as they are part of the media industries shift to a pay per play business model.

Posted on 29 Jan 2010 21:25:25 GMT
Gythral says:
There is no DRM, it requires a simple disc check, but if you want all the features (a mission and a squaddie) you need internet access, at least once from the game, and to make sure that you uncheck 'autologon' to the Cerberus Network.

The Cerberus Network and DLC from it are only valid for the EA Network that registered the original code, 2nd buyers will net to buy (from EA online) a Cerberus Network Code to get the 'free' DLC, and the right to buy other DLC.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jan 2010 08:47:25 GMT
Paul braid says:
the disc check is the DRM, and its possibly worse than the cd checks as now they can restrict second hand sales even further as the forced online activation locked to 1 account need circumvents the first sale doctrine, this is their reason for forcing these restrictions onto us.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  7 Aug 2009
Latest post:  30 Jan 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

This discussion is about
Mass Effect 2 (PC DVD)
Mass Effect 2 (PC DVD) by Electronic Arts (Windows XP)
4.4 out of 5 stars (174)