Customer reviews

Format: Flexibound|Change

on 23 June 2017
👍
on 17 March 2010
A really lovely book - ideal for sightseeing when perhaps time is pressing and the photographs help identify the sites, but more provide a lasting reminder. None of this belittles the fact that this is a serious and excellent guidebook.
This 348-page book – the 15th printed edition of June 2017 - is a colourful and informative guide to the mainland of Greece (there is a separate volume on the islands of Greece – and there are that many of them, they do need a second volume).

It has all the usual features, including excellent maps and diagrams. There are excellent colour photographs breaking up the text columns, so you can see what you are looking for. It is a handy up-to-date guidebook, ideal for planning a family holiday.

The Contents are -
P009: Introducing Athens and Mainland Greece (5 chapters)
P055: Ancient Greece(5 chapters)

P067: Athens Area by Area
(Central Athens north and south, Street Finder, and chapters on shopping and entertainment)

P141: Mainland Greece Area by Area
P144: Around Athens
P162: The Peloponnese
P206: Central & Western Greece
P236: Northern Greece

P263: Traveller’s Needs (where to stay; where to eat & drink; shopping, etc.)
P299: Survival Guide (practical & travel information, etc.)
P324: General Index
P344: Phrase Book
on 30 August 2013
To find so much information within the covers of one quite slim book is very useful indeed. Obviously it cannot cover everywhere. For example I was in Chalkida (ancient Chalkis) and found nothing on this fascinating small town, the place where Aristotle died on the farm that had belonged to his mother, and which also has a bridge that has to be lifted at set times to allow flotillas of boats through; great fun to watch. My husband was very gratified to find his bronze statue of Byron featured in the article relating to Mesolonghi! I bought it, principally, to have the information at my finger tips on opening hours of museums, somewhat idiosyncratic in Greece, and also nearest stations, bus info etc. A wonderful buy - worth every penny!
I took along the Eyewitness Travel Guide for "Greece: Athens & The Mainland" on our trip to Greece because it showed us everything we are not going to see (Hang on, this will make sense). These DK volumes pride themselves on being "The guides that show you what others only tell you," being filled with over 1,000 photographs, illustrations, and maps. There are cutaways and floor plans of all the major sites that we are seeing, just as the Parthenon and the monastery of Varlaam. But in a week in Greece there is only so much you can see and if we not have time to visit everything in Athens and are only visiting two of the monasteries of Meteora, then this DK Eyewitness Travel Guide will show us something of what we are missing. There are sections on Ancient Greece and then Area by Area sections on Athens and Mainland Greece, along with a section on Travellers' Needs and a Surival Guide. So all the basic are covered along with the profuse illustrations.
Of course there are also sections on where to eat, where to stay, and how to get around. I especially liked the pages devoted to various types of local cuisine, which shows you what you would find on the classic Greek menu as well as the different type of dishes you should try in Central Greece versus the Peloponese. You can use this guide to scope out what you will find when you visit places like Mycenae, Olympia, and Delphi, but you might want to use it more as a reminder of what you have seen than spoiling some of the ancient treasures in store for you at these sites. For example, "discovering" the golden mask of Agamemnon or the statue of Hermes by Praxiteles might work better as a complete surprise. Then again, you would hate to miss some of these things. Of course, we compromise: I know what there is to see and my wife gets to be surprised. It works for us.
On the trip everybody wanted to borrow our guidebook. Several were going to pick it up when they get back home because it serves as a nice reminder of what we saw (and what we did not see because many museums were closed in preparation for the Olympics when I guess everything will be bigger and better).
on 2 September 2009
We spent 4 days in Athens during August 2009, and this book was fine for what we wanted to see in that period. We've used other DK city guides in the past and I felt that this one skimmed the surface more than others - perhaps because DK is trying to cram the main sights of this stunning city into the rest of the mainland? I also felt that there were a few proof-reading errors (nothing serious, but enough to make me feel that this was a bit cobbled together).
on 22 July 2010
It is an excellent book. I never knew all the places that are in there.
If you are going to Greece I recommend this book.
on 14 March 2014
This little book has made my trip to Greece a great holiday! the book not only contained all necessary maps, but it also had some great tips on where to go, what to see etc. The history parts are well written as well. When travelling again, will definitely buy a DK book again!
on 23 April 2014
I have a number of DK guides; thy are all of a high quality and this one on Greece is no exception. It will bean easy-to-carry guide while touring the ancient sites.
on 11 July 2011
Generally, I like the concept of the DK travel guides: great illustrations, informative and concise. But there are a few things that need to be improved upon. First, the typeface. It is way too small!! Even with my reading glasses I have difficulty reading it, which is not the case with other guides or books. Just half a point larger would already be an improvement. I had the same problem with the Venice and London guides.
The other criticism is the editing. Far too often there are spelling mistakes, factual incorrectness and words missing. For example, both the North and South of Athens on the map overview are labelled as being the North.
I also missed a short description of some of the islands which are easy one-day destinations if staying on the mainland, eg. Aegina, Hydra.