Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 July 2013
Good book to read and have with you whilst travelling. Will be taking it with us when we travel. Excellent.
on 20 March 2017
Great, thanks!
on 20 September 2013
My son got this for his holiday, and liked it very much and thought it was very usefull, small enough to carry around all day.
on 13 July 2017
good review guide
I have a large number of these travel guides. What I like about them is their format - each book gives an overview (rather than lots of detail). It provides a summary of what is on offer. Inside is not just the obvious i.e. the Top 10 sights to see. Also you get things like the Top 10 museums & galleries, Top 10 markets, Top 10 Arts & Crafts, Top 10 events etc. - even the Top 10 things to avoid. That makes them very useful, and a unique approach to travel guides. I use them to decide what to do, and then use another book (or a website) to give me more detail if I need that.

This book covers, for example:
 The Strip
 Top 10 Festivals & Annual Events
 Top 10 Golf Courses
 Top 10 Childrens' Attractions
(This is some, not all)

The book in its physical format is small - just small enough to fit inside a DL envelope (i.e. the standard white envelope, designed to accept a sheet of A4 paper folded twice). It is actually a few centimetres shorter than a DL envelope. This compact size makes it easy to fit into your pocket.

This book can't provide detail - it can provide `the big picture'. I now normally take two travel guides with me - a DK Top 10 one like this and a detailed travel guide, to get the best of both worlds. If you just have a detailed travel guide, you can miss out on things that you wish you had visited.

On a separate issue, I originally bought my Top 10 books in the Kindle format (because I am a Kindle lover) and to my surprise found the Kindle format terribly irritating. It taught me that when using a travel guide, you want to be able to flick quickly through it and jump around easily - that's SO much easier with a physical book. In addition, you want it to be in colour - you can cure that by taking your iPad with you but an iPad is bigger and heavier than this book in its paperback version. You can get round that if you have an iPad mini or a large screen smartphone (neither of which I had when I bought this) but you are still left with the problem of being unable to flick around the book quickly. Travel guides just don't work well in the Kindle format, in my opinion.

You may feel otherwise but that is how I feel. I found the relative awkwardness in flicking around the Kindle book a major handicap. And this is despite the fact that I buy most of my books in Kindle format.

The beauty of these books is that they give you an overview, which means that you end up doing things that you would not have done otherwise.
on 31 July 2008
These Eyewitness Guides are great.

You get huge amounts of information, tips and ideas for a relatively small book.

The information is well researched and sound, the pictures relavant and stunning and the whole book is small enough to fit in your pocket to carry around with you.
on 16 April 2009
This book is fine for overviews and to just get the basics, so to speak. But there's so much more to Vegas so do yourself a favor - research a bit and keep in mind, that everything changes fast in Vegas - so newest editions are a must.
This 144-page book is a colourful and informative guide to the attractions of Las Vegas, Nevada, USA; for real visitors and armchair travellers alike. It has all the usual features, including excellent maps and articles. There are excellent colour photos breaking up the text columns, so you can see what you are looking for. It is a handy up-to-date guidebook, with all the usual topics a tourist guide provides, as well as chapters on the top ten sites (The Strip; Hoover Dam; Downtown Las Vegas; Bellagio; Grand Canyon; The Venetian; Wynn Las Vegas; Red Rock Canyon; The Forum Shops at Caesars; CityCenter).

The Contents include -
P007: Las Vegas Top 10
P069: Around Town
P084: Beyond the Neon
P112: Streetsmart (practical touristy information)
P136: General Index
on 12 July 2013
I've recently come back from a trip to the USA and Las Vegas was an obvious destination. I was looking for a compact, easy to navigate, yet information packed guide to educate me on what to see/do/eat/drink/avoid, and this definitely didn't disappoint.

It's worth having a read through before you go just so you have an idea of how to plan your trip, but once the bare bones are in place you can easily rely on this to fill in the gaps and make the most of every hour (and believe me, every hour is needed!)

The only issue I had with this book was completely self-inflicted. It had SO much information on the surrounding area that I felt that I missed out on what was to offer outside of the strip itself. Oh well, perhaps I'll just have to go back...
on 20 April 2009
I really like the eyewitness books but this one had a few pieces of incorrect information, obviously things that had changed since the last edition was printed. The Venetian no longer has an art exhibit, some restaurants were more expensive than the book suggested.