on 20 April 2016
If you travelling to paris for week or less it is a must. All recommendations are spot on. Info is concise and to the point (for more detailed, either get specialised books e.g. museum guides or go online). Size is perfect (fits into small bag or in fact pocket).
Restaurants/bars/jazz clubs recommendations are really good (or at least we were very lucky with the one we chose). Restaurants recommendations are not average touristy places, but rather popular with locals, which is always a good sign.
Absolutely recommend, and if this book is anything to go buy - will be buying more Top 10's for future trips.
on 26 April 2014
This book is perfect if you are in Paris only for a few days, it focuses on the main things that all "tourist's" should see in Paris. Would recommend this book to anyone planning going!
on 6 November 2014
I bought this guide book and also the Lonely Planet one. This one was by FAR the better one. We actually ended up leaving the other one in our hotel room. Useful information on lots of sights but don't rely on just this map - buy a proper one. This map is only a basic one so really does not help if you are walking around Paris when you need to see what every single street is called.
I have a large number of these travel guides. What I like about them is their format - each book gives an overview (rather than lots of detail). It provides a summary of what is on offer. Inside is not just the obvious i.e. the Top 10 sights to see. Also you get things like the Top 10 museums & galleries, Top 10 markets, Top 10 Arts & Crafts, Top 10 events etc. - even the Top 10 things to avoid. That makes them very useful, and a unique approach to travel guides. I use them to decide what to do, and then use another book (or a website) to give me more detail if I need that.

In this book you get things like:
- Paris highlights

- Top 10 Cafés and Bars
- Top 10 Shops & Markets
- Top 10 Children's Attractions
- Top 10 Places to Eat

The book in its physical format is small - just small enough to fit inside a DL envelope (i.e. the standard white envelope, designed to accept a sheet of A4 paper folded twice). It is actually a few centimetres shorter than a DL envelope. This compact size makes it easy to fit into your pocket.

This book can't provide detail - it can provide `the big picture'. I now normally take two travel guides with me - a DK Top 10 one like this and a detailed travel guide, to get the best of both worlds. If you just have a detailed travel guide, you can miss out on things that you wish you had visited.

On a separate issue, I originally bought my Top 10 books in the Kindle format (because I am a Kindle lover) and to my surprise found the Kindle format terribly irritating. It taught me that when using a travel guide, you want to be able to flick quickly through it and jump around easily - that's SO much easier with a physical book. In addition, you want it to be in colour - you can cure that by taking your iPad with you but an iPad is bigger and heavier than this book in its paperback version. You can get round that if you have an iPad mini or a large screen smartphone (neither of which I had when I bought this) but you are still left with the problem of being unable to flick around the book quickly. Travel guides just don't work well in the Kindle format, in my opinion.

You may feel otherwise but that is how I feel. I found the relative awkwardness in flicking around the Kindle book a major handicap. And this is despite the fact that I buy most of my books in Kindle format.

The beauty of these books is that they give you an overview, which means that you end up doing things that you would not have done otherwise.
on 20 June 2014
I have used these guides for other cities. Their advice on the "must do/must see " is invaluable. They have done your planning for you to ensure that you don't miss the most important sights.. walking tours are so useful with suggested coffee stops etc. Pull out maps are of a good size and provide orientation of the city. additional information regarding hotels , transport, shopping etc is also available
on 5 June 2015
Precise and to the point. The quality I have come to expect from Eye Witness over a couple of decades or so. A little heavy for the pocket but maps were plastic coated so resisted rain a bit. Not sure, given the vast array of restaurants etc that a top 10 of those or hotels is really possible but it certainly provided a good portable reference book.
on 10 April 2015
The guide is great, but I would say downloading Paris guide by Trip Advisor, and downloading the offline maps and content including reviews, is better. You get thousands of restaurants to choose from, and reviews from honest citizens.

It is also free.
For those of you who like a physical book in your hand as you travel, this is a great one to have. On the inside front cover is a map of central Paris. On the inside back cover the map shows the historic centre so everything in that area is a little larger. The Top 10 sights are colored in purple. On the back side of that map is the metro map which is absolutely essential for getting around Paris. In the back pocket there is a pull out street and metro map if you do not wish to carry the main book around with you.

On the first page all the Top 10 sights are shown on a less detailed map and then on the first page of each place of interest, the reader is provided with the map grid number, times of opening, admission costs and loads more information.

With the Top 10 behind you, the book is not finished. You will find loads and loads more information to help your stay in Paris more enjoyable. I wouldn't want to be without this when in Paris. Thanks, Liz
on 4 June 2014
delivered quickly and efficiently. Great book clearly sets out with pictures and maps the sites in Paris. Very handy for walking and doing the tourist bit
on 5 October 2015
This was perfect! So helpful! We bought it for my son, who's almost 10, for our weekend in Paris. It was so handy and such a useful size that I carried it around with us and referred to it all the time. The map was handy too although it doesn't show where the Metro stations are so we crossed referenced it with a free map we were given by the hotel.