Customer reviews

Style Name: Freewheel Remover|Change

on 4 April 2013
Worked exactly as intended, I've removed a few freewheels with this now and the tool shows no adverse wear. Didn't need to use the "vice" method - just big spanner on the end did the trick! When replacing the freewheel though it is worth smearing some anti seize copper grease on the threads to facilitate removal next time. Remember also that this is for freewheels and NOT cassettes, the tools look very similar but are not interchangeable and I suspect some people reviewing these and cassette tools are not aware of this hence the compatibility issues (I wasn't until recently). Remember that a freewheel screws onto the hub, whereas a cassette slides over a "freehub" and is held in place by a lockring (which a cassette tool and chain whip is needed to remove).
22 Comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 November 2013
Works with Shimano hyperglide freewheels. For some reason all freewheel remover manufacturers advertise their product as compatible with uniglide freewheels. None of them mention hyperglide freewheels anywhere. Park tools doesn't do either. Anyway, the thing is this freewheel remover works with Shimano hyperglide freewheels even though hyperglide is not mentioned in the description.

The only thing you need to be careful about is whether you have a freewheel or a freehub. This tool is for a freewheel (screw on type). It is not for a freehub (slide on type, also known as cassette). They are not compatible. This tool will not work with a cassette. This is for freewheels.

If you are not sure whether you have a freewheel or freehub, make a google search and you should find Sheldon Brown's website where he explains the difference with pictures. As a general rule, if you have a quick release axle on the rear hub you are more likely to have a freehub (a slide on cassette) and if you have a a solid axle with bolt nuts, you are more likely to have a freewheel (a screw on type).

To take off the freewheel you need to turn it counter clockwise. This means the thread directions are regular. I used an adjustable wrench and it worked fine. Because the freewheel was to tight I had to step on the wrench. To prevent the wheel from turning I put it between a doorway and left the tire on and pumped. While pressing down I didn't want my feet to catch any spokes so I put a piece of cardboard in front of the spokes.

The freewheel I took off was a Shimano 14/34T HG freewheel. I took off an 14/34T 6 speed and put on a 14/34T 7 speed and this tool fits both. In the picture the material looks poor, as if it is going to crack. But in reality is perfectly fine. It works great.

Update:
I have now bought a 1 inch combination wrench for this tool because I think the adjustable wrench is going to eventually damage it. The wrench was 3.99 including delivery from ebay from a seller called cheshiretools.

I thought I wasn't going to use this tool too often. So I didn't mind not having a combination wrench at the beginning but recently I needed to add a spoke protector and then I also had to replace some spokes and now I think I will replace the hub and learn how to build a wheel and I think I might replace the rim. In short, I think you do need a combination wrench because you might end up using this tool more often than you think.
on 9 June 2017
arrived very quickly and mounted in a vice took moments to undo freewheel. perfect for the job, very well made and will last a lifetime.
top quality tool and great service at a low price .10/10
on 24 April 2017
I needed this tool to remove the original freewheel from my twenty year old Raleigh MTB. Not surprisingly it was screwed on so tight that I really wondered if it would ever come off. Having no vice available I had to resort to using a very large adjustable spanner and a lot of elbow grease. Eventually the freewheel did come loose and I was able to replace it. The removal tool stood up to the ordeal extremely well and is hardly marked, very impressive for the price.
on 8 August 2017
The remover which I carried around for years was very slightly too large when I went to use it. This one fits perfectly.
on 22 August 2017
Purchased tool (for second time) as I'd lost the first one. Both times it provided an easy and cheap way to remove and reinstall shimano cassettes onto the freehub when combined with a wrench and chain whip. Bargain compared to shop servicing. Took about 1-2 hours to remove cassette, clean, reinstall and reindex rear derailleur with a few YouTube video tutorials.
on 2 June 2017
didn't fit the bike it was bought for so not good nor bad, just wrong for me
on 20 September 2017
Very well built. My freewheel was on real tight; I had to use my legs to get the thing off. This held up perfectly fine.
on 30 April 2017
Not much to say really, it fit my freewheel and it worked all for a very reasonable price.
on 9 August 2017
Easy simple tool, worked brilliantly to replace my rear gears.