Customer reviews

Cutie Honey [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 11 June 2016
Japanese cinema as only Japanese cinema can be. Totally barmy but brilliant.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 26 July 2011
Pure nonsense, but such fun! I just loved the ditzy, crazy girl of the title, so sweet! Definetly a beer and pizza movie, enjoy!
on 6 May 2014
Looked attractive so I ordered it. And it's great fun to watch. Only light entertainment but a good example of its sort
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 11 October 2007
I had read some on-line reviews and had mixed feelings. Then I watched it.
GET THIS!! IT'S FANTASTIC EYE-CANDY!

My copy was a Thai release but luckily it had an optional Japanese soundtrack with English subtitles. So I could enjoy it like any other Japanese movie.

This is by far the best 2D to 3D film I have ever seen.
on 14 March 2011
Unfortunately I have never seen the anime/read the manga of this (although my 40 year-old friend remembered it) and while it lacked the famous "accidental" nudity that the anime was filled with, it doesn't feel like it is missing anything because of that small detail.
It still manages to have enough tongue-in-cheek humour (whether intended or not) and Eriko Sato - the lovely leading lady who plays Cutie Honey is fantastic, she has a genuine enthusiasm which makes her character cute, fun and so very lovable.
The storyline is a little odd, but I am fully prepared for this as someone new to Asian cinema, and when watching I had lots of fun trying to figure out the gender of some of the "bad guys", but this is a brilliant reflection of its anime/manga roots where androgynous characters are rife.
It's silly, it's fun and as another review put it, excellent "eye candy".
I deserve everything I get. In my defense, I thought it might be like the awesome Kamikaze Girls. It's not. It's like Power Rangers, but without the good bits. On the positive side 'Cutie' is very cute and looks to be having a whale of time in her movie debut, going through the whole film smiling and skipping along making it impossible not to like her. It looks like it's aimed at kids, but with subtitles only I can't imagine any would watch it for very long. That's what it's missing, a cheesy Monkey magic style over-dub, then it would've been awsesome! Still, I've learnt not to buy DVD's just because of the girl on the cover.... I wonder what Tokyo Gore Police is like???
Believe.
22 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 4 July 2009
Wonderful! Watching this was like watching a cartoon come to life. Eriko Sato is absolutely perfect in the lead role. She totally convinces as the irrepressible superhero with a zest for life and doing good. You truly feel that she could brighten even the darkest world with her eternal optimism.

The action is like a whacked out version of Power Rangers. Great villains and henchmen who display an imaginative range of powers. The special effects are not as good as a Hollywood blockbuster but just perfect for this movie, delivering the right cartoon feel to events.

The only reason I have given this four stars rather than five is that after some glorious action sequences I felt like I was on a sugar rush only to come crashing down at the nice but flat and lacklustre ending. It was still a wonderful trip though!
on 1 July 2009
this film was one of the most refreshing i have seen in a while, it is funny and has good action in it near the end. i was pleasantly suprised by the quality of acting in this film espescially from the lead, being this is her first film and all , in short i would highly recomend this film to anyone who enjoys asian films and even those who dont,