on 25 September 1998
I am a VP of Operations for a small service company, I read this book in four days and am now buying it for all of my staff - 75 copies. It is full of practical, logical information that does make a difference - but only if you put it to use. I thoroughly enjoyed Jeffrey's story-telling and unique style of presentation it made the book fun to read! He constantly hammers you with little gems of wisdom - illustrated by some great (and some not so great) service stories. He sums up all there is to know about how to deliver memorable service - what will separate your company from your competition. I will forever remember that every customer I talk to I should treat like I am talking to my own beloved Grandma! Every customer should be treated as preciously as she is treated. You need to buy this book and put it to use - before your competition does. Keep the good stuff coming Jeffrey!
on 10 August 2004
I was initially a little put off by the layout of this book, but any concerns were soon dispelled by the sheer obviousness and clarity of the ideas contained within. I have been involved in many "customer service projects" in my job, but this book addresses the "soft" elements of helping customers, and the technology spend required could be as little as nothing. I would be highly surprised if every company couldn't find at least one simple change that they could make in their business that would have a positive impact on how their customers perceive them. Highly recommended!
on 5 September 2003
Well, I approached this a little warily, having read the ALL of the reviews. I needn't have worried. After my initial shock at the somewhat unusual layout and three of four attempts to 'get into it', I found the most amazing stuff in here! Like me, you'll probably skim for bits first, think a little, skim a bit more, then sit down quietly and read it through slowly. It does contain the usual customer service stuff that you'd expect, but there are a whole lot of new ways to look at things too. And lots of new stories that are refreshing AND relevant. For me, this will go along with anything by Zig Ziglar, Harry Beckwith and of course, "Thinkertoys" as indispensable references. Try it - and be surprised....
on 17 May 1999
Gitomer cuts through much of the usual sales guru bull and gives simple, practical advice on keeping customers coming back. After years of listening to typical corporate sales philoshopies and backwards thinking, I was refreshed and encouraged by the author's straight forward approach to customer service. Easy to understand and follow, I think this book should be required reading at any company hoping to thrive in today's ever-changing market. GET BACK TO BASICS! TREAT CUSTOMERS AS YOU'D LIKE TO BE TREATED! That's the message. Buy it and pass it on to co-workers!
on 4 September 1999
Sure, this book may seem to "waste space." What Gitomer does do, instead of filling up the pages with mindless filler like so many other books, is exemplify the importance of differentiation. This to busines books what the Beatles "White Album" was to records in its day. This book is so very different, it takes you by suprise!
The implimentation part may seem difficult, but it you read between the lines, Gitomer spells out very clearly how to begin the process. It must start at the top! The owners and leaders must be truly commited to it, or it cutomer loyalty will never happen. Employee enthusiasm for this kind of work cannot happen overnight, but it can happen, and does.
Get this book, and to see how one company put the principles into action, get "The Saturn Differnece" by Vicki Lenz. The two, put together, make a powerful combo.
on 24 July 1998
This is one of the most important books on sales and customer service to come along in 20 years. Jeffrey Gitomer follows up "The Sales Bible" with this inspiring look at how anyone can generate loyal, lifelong customers.
Gitomer has a wonderful intolerable of shoddy customer service that is apparent througout the book. In addition to the expected stories of lousy service, Gittomer recounts tales of WOW-level customer service that nearly brought tears to my eyes. I especially loved his specific examples of the simple things that anyone can do to delight their customers.
Filled with humor and great passion for its subject, this is a book I'll be using for years to come. This book is priceless for anyone for who comes into contact with customers.
Steven Salta, Excell Data Corporation
on 5 September 1998
Customer Satisfaction Is Worthless, Customer Loyalty Is Priceless is what every business book should be: insightful, easy to read, funny and full of valuable information any business person can put to use immediately.
If you love Mr. Gitomer's weekly column, you'll love the book even more. He shares stories everyone can relate to and tells you how you can use the knowledge gained from these stories to improve the quality of your service and earn customer loyalty.
When I am ready to hire a staff, this book will be required for every team member! I have already begun to implement several of the ideas and when I can, I am sending a copy of this book to every company on my customer service hit list -- their customers deserve it!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 2 November 2007
Sales books should be a separate genre. They are meant to be easily read, inspirational, rhetorical and instructional. The more qualified the salesperson-author, the more authoritative the advice. This one has all these qualities, plus author-salesman Jeffrey Gitomer has displayed his counsel like a visual party. Almost every page boasts a new typeface and layout. Some pages look like poems. On other pages, he makes suggestions he calls "self tests," "scorecards" and "reality checks," while on others he provides questionnaires. This is deliberately more of a jazzy series of lists than a narrative outlining a new approach. Still, we endorse its solid common wisdom: To engender customer loyalty, treat people as you would want to be treated.
on 23 August 1998
I have recently started a new business. One that focuses on follow-up marketing. In looking for some research material, I decided to look up afew books here at amazon. I came across this book and read the posted reviews. There was one review that caught my attention (if you scroll up, it's the one that is totally negative). I went to my local bookstore and they had one copy left. Well I spent the entire day today reading it. I still can't get over how profoundly simple this book is. I've been floored as to the imperative information that the book contains. This was and is the perfect book for my business. Like Nike says "Just Read It"
on 7 November 1998
I just finished reading this book and loved it. The material you covered was right on target and the layout made it very enjoyable to read. I plan to get our management team to all read it. We are in the process of improving our record of repeat customers and exceeding their expectations. Coming across your book on Amazon.com was the luckiest break I have had all month! I know that even using a portion of the ideas presented will bring results. The best tip is to make your interaction with your customer so memorable that they will tell others how GREAT you are!! It worked for Gitomer's book, because I will tell everyone I know about it.