Culture and Reflexivity in Systemic Psychotherapy: Mutual Perspectives (The Systemic Thinking and Practice Series) Paperback – 16 Dec 2011
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
This book makes a crucial contribution by locating culture and race at the centre of all theory and practice in systemic psychotherapy. In doing so, it corrects the longstanding error of circumscribing culture and race to the attributes of minorities. Instead, it urges systemic practitioners to reflect about their own cultural and political stances in all their interactions with clients. Thoughtfully articulated contributions open rich new perspectives about the uses of reflexivity. Each chapter offers fascinating explorations of the topic along with considered explanations aimed at including culture and politics in the therapeutic and supervisory encounter. After reading this important book, it is impossible to continue to look at culture and race as belonging to clients only and to limit therapeutic inquiries to the culture and race of 'others'. --Celia Jaes Falicov, PhD, Clinical Professor of Family and Preventive Medicine and Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, USA
About the Author
Inga-Britt Krause, PhD, is a social and medical anthropologist. As a systemic psychotherapist she has worked for nearly twenty years in the NHS and has helped set up Specialist Services for Asian Communities in London. She is currently Training & Development Consultant in the Tavistock & Portman NHS Foundation Trust.
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top customer reviews
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Other Branches of Medicine > Psychiatry
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Applied Psychology > Counselling > Family Therapy
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Applied Psychology > Psychotherapy
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z > Clinical Psychology & Psychotherapy
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z > Psychotherapy & Clinical Psychology
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Medicine & Nursing > Medical Sciences A-Z