Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.48

on 8 May 2015
Family story a really close family overcoming life's problems sometimes very sad sometimes very funny a really good read I enjoyed it very much
on 12 December 2014
Great read
on 8 April 2014
What a good find , The book was so good it brought back happy memory's of my childhood spent in Edinburgh.
The words were just as I remembered my mother tongue,a terrific read and I will definitely be reading more of this
wonderful author.
on 30 May 2011
A gripping novel of wartime Leith, this is a fascinating tale about the fortunes and misadventures of the Glass family. Tam, their father, is captured during the Dunkirk withdrawal and spends five harrowing years in German POW camps before returning home to find an addition to the family following his wife Dinah's affair with a coloured GI. Hard-won reconciliation, aided by young Sam Campbell's smartness, brings its eventual reward in the shape of academic achievement for Tam and relative post-war prosperity for the family, whose hilarious adventures are often tinged with the pathos which Millie Gray handles so well. Particularly amusing yet poignant are the experiences of the Glass children during their brief evacuation to Lasswade. Senga, the principal character of the novel, is ultimately transformed into Crystal, whose `Song' marks the appropriate culmination of her romance with the ubiquitous Sam.
on 16 March 2014
Another great book by this author . I know Edinburgh and Scotland and really felt I was there with the family great to read Scots for a change .
on 12 June 2014
I don't take to much notice of other's reviews on books, as what one person enjoys another might detest. Although if everyone gave very low rating maybe I would not purchase. However, I loved this book easy reading, will certainly read it again.
on 29 April 2014
a down to earth read you get lost with the storyline, you really believe you are a neighbour and get carried away with what's going on there.
on 22 June 2014
Once I started this book couldn't put it down great story well written . The characters where wonderful, I've laughed and cried with this book. It was my first Millie Gray book but will be buy more of hers
on 10 July 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and have ordered more of her books, now reading the second one. Although it is fiction it is so true to life and in and around Edinburgh in scots dialect. Superb!
on 15 May 2014
I am enjoying reading this book but it is being spoilt due to the 'accent' the author is using. It is set in Edinburgh yet reads like the characters come from Glasgow.