on 23 January 2014
Despite seeing a review saying you'll either love or hate this book, I find myself in both camps. It's undeniably a gripping concept, the proof being I forked out money for book 2. Equally undeniably, this work was desperately in need of a proof-reader and, more importantly, a good editor. So many things jarred - too many to list here, but putting aside suspension of disbelief, basic things like Scottish whisky; an American president saying "Have you seen the arse on her?"; in a hi-tech world asking for photographs to be developed; and so on and so on. It does tend to disrupt your enjoyment of the story when things like this crop up every few pages. Anyway, I volunteer to edit your stuff, Mr Irvine! Look at the critical reviews and decide if it might make a difference!
on 16 March 2013
Hilariously badly written. Totally undemanding read and fun plot for the beach if you can stand the deadly prose. I couldn't.
on 15 January 2014
I choose a lot of my books by the title, and this one caught my interest. It started off qickly and I got really into it and then I got bored. I even put it down and picked up another to read. But not one to leave books half read, I decided to have another go. I'm so glad I did. It seemed to click with me straight away. Yes the plot is outlandish, and I do not class myself as religious. But, is it possible, i ask myself. Have just downloaded the second book. Can't wait to read it.
on 2 January 2014
I have just read Book 1 and found out there is a Book 2 which continues the story. Have to say this was one of the best Kindle freebies that I have read for some time. Like several others have commented, I don't usually log into Amazon to pay for a 'Book 2 download' but here I am about to do it - so it must have been good!!
The storyline is fast moving and quite gripping but suffers from a major hole in the storyline's credibility. The assumption appears to be made that a cloned human being would be able to recall their past existence and have the same powers and abilities. If a human-cloning process ever does become possible, surely the manufactured person will be born (or somehow incubated) as a normal child with a brain that is a blank slate which has to go through the same learning process as everyone else. It seems highly unlikely to me that a clone would 'wake up' with instant awareness and total recall.
However if you can overlook this obvious point, it is a rattling good read. As I say, I have not yet read Book 2, so this point may yet be addressed.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 June 2014
I couldn't stop reading this. I had just finished a book where I scan read most of the pages but I read every word of this fascinating story..
The characters are credible and you quickly warm to the people in the team attempting the cloning of Christ.
A fast paced story and now I can't wait to start book 2.
on 25 November 2014
This is a very interesting book which some may not find to their taste because of the subject, but don't let that put you off as in my opinion the author has dealt with the faith issue/science very well. I must admit though, as a Christian, a couple of times I have drawn in breath! I personally found it fascinating and am now reading book two, rather rushing it as I can't wait to see what happens. Probably a little too technical with regard to genetics, but really gives food for thought. In today's world, anything is possible??? I have only just discovered Ian C.P. Irvine, his books are so different from anything else I have read and am now fast running out of his books! Would highly recommend all of his books.
on 24 June 2014
It was so difficult to get through this--I jsut gave up half way thtough. The writing style is not to my taste, the characters are not very believable and the science is jsut too far fetched.....
on 20 November 2013
It's OK but lacks credibility in so far as it is a story based on real science but delves into fantasy without giving the reader any idea that it could be credible. A tenuous story line.
on 11 October 2013
Book starts well,but soon gets a bit boring. I have to agree with a previous reviewer who complained of "the deadly prose".

The story all sounds too twee.
on 19 June 2015
This book starts out poorly and gets worse. A dropout kid with behavioural problems at 15 certainly does not suddenly become a genius and get into Oxford University. It may have been more believable had the boy been 30 and the girl 35. It is quite clear that the author has no idea about the English education system. And when they started getting into the realms of fntasy about a crown of thorns that probably doesn't exist, well I just gave up on the whole thing
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse