on 15 June 2014
I am a fan, so this tempers all my ratings of Mr Farman's work....I also get a mention in the dedication/thanks section, first time ever - so I am perhaps more than a little biased......
Saying all that....I came to the Armageddon's Song series looking for an adventure story with a bit of bite, believable but also alternative in its assumptions and timing, and that is exactly what I got.....

And Crossing the Rubicon is a fitting end to a series.

The ending befits an author who was at the sharp pointy end of the stick for so many years, listening and watching (and obeying) the politicians of the time make a complete mess of even the simplest things - the book gives them what they deserve...a reckoning and justice......while holding the values and culture of the doers to the highest standards......

The action, as always, is fast paced - and I am wondering if there was a possibility of a few thousand more words in it all....(smiling to myself), or did I just wish it would not end....both perhaps is true - but an ending is always required, and as I have said before - its the authors book not ours, we just share and enjoy the journey.........

Looking forward to your next writing adventure Mr Farman - thanks for sharing this one with us.....
on 3 January 2018
Would have been 5 stars except for the spelling and grammar errors, which do spoil the flow of reading. This book seemed worse than the other for it.

The story line is very good and fast moving, it does switch from one area or viewpoint to another but not enough that you loose your place.

It also shows the lottery that war is in that no character seems safe, even though a character has a good introduction they may be dead a page later.
on 30 June 2014
I have been looking for a book (or books) to compete on the same level as Hackett's World War Three,
And at last the five volumes by Andy have done just that! I've have just spent two weeks of late night reading of this magnificent series,and been dying to know what's going to befall the main characters next! (But don't get too attached to some of them,because inevitably many die, quick and violent!) Andy obviously loves writing about his subject,and it shows,he doesn't get too bogged down in the technicality of military hardware (except if for the purpose of narrative) and goes more into the lives of his characters, and in doing so,makes you care about them.
This is what a good thriller writer should do for his readers! Thanks Andy for entertaining me so well!
By the way, film makers take note: you should beat a path to Mr.Farman's door to buy the film rights,and make a bloody good job of it! I can't wait for his next book!
33 Comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 5 July 2014
Just finished the fifth and last book in the series and have to give it five stars. As a former soldier of the 70's I enjoyed the banter between the British troops and agreed with the comments about dodgy kit and incompetent politicians. The soldiers of today are still facing the same problems. I was irked with the usual problems associated with kindle books - poor proof reading and editing. Perhaps Andy should take them to task. I also found it disconcerting that almost all of the cast of characters end up dead; very few had a happy ever after. I also wondered why China was not nuked after their ICBM sites had been destroyed - it might have brought the war to an end sooner? I would have liked an extra chapter at the end, covering the months after the end of the war. What happened in post war Russia and China? How did Australia rebuild after the war? How about the surviving characters - any happy endings for any of them? Could there have been a sixth book in the series?

I will be looking for future publications from Mr Farman. How about a book on Svetlana?
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 20 May 2014
This is quite possibly the best WW3 novel ever! A tour de force from start to finish. Crossing The Rubicon finishes off a brilliant series in style. Mr. Farman's Armageddon's Song series is simply mind-blowing. Totally believable action scenes which will leave you out of breath with excitement. Characters you can relate to (but don't get too attached!). Plot twists and turns will keep you turning pages. I can't recommend these books highly enough. You will not be disappointed.
on 26 May 2014
I was really pretty sad to read this book knowing that it was the last in the series. The story is full of well described battles and the characters are superbly well written. Lots of British Army humour and characters any one who has served in the forces can relate to. From the seas of the Pacific to the wilderness of Australia this is right up there with some of the best work of Tom Clancy. I have a feeling the two of you would have got on very well.
It is a fitting and first class end to the "Armageddons Song" series of books. With a very nice twist right at the end. (if only things like that came true Mr Farman).
I am very sorry to see the series come to an end, put can not wait for "Shaw, USMC" to be released.
on 1 January 2017
OK, I've read the full set of 5 and am now waiting for the next book to arrive. The reason for the 3* rating (where the previous 4 in the series got 5* each) is that it simply isn't as good a read - has a feeling that the author wanted to wrap it up, tidy up loose ends and move on. The scenes with the Russian bint owe a lot to the James Bond films.

I'm looking forward to the next book! Armageddons song: This Time Its Spam.
on 16 June 2016
What a fantastic read. For some reason I wan't expecting much but it didn't take me long to get into it, then I was hooked. I think if World War Three were to break out now then this is pretty much what it would look like - and no, the good guys don't always win. From the author breadth of knowledge on matters both military and law enforcement, it was clear that he was ex-army and police. The characters were credible and the portrayal of British soldiers in particular will appeal to ex-serviceman particularly those who served during the cold war. The resurrection of the SLR and Chieftan were genius! I enjoyed every word and decided I would read all the other books in the series.
on 4 May 2016
The last book in the series and I have been glued to them since starting the first Armageddon's Song book. A great story covering the unthinkable war and its consequences not only on the characters involved in fighting the conflict, but the impact on everyone. I know when I've read a good story when I find myself thinking about it and the characters after the read. This has been one of those reads. Well done Andy, can't wait to read more of your stories.
on 21 March 2015
Crossing the Rubicon is the culmination of a series of very very good books and the Armageddons Song as whole was tremendous. Mr Farman again hits the bullseye with this book. The story gets the reader gripped from the get go and keeps them enthrawled till the very end. Unlike other action warfare books no character is safe and when you get to like one of them they get bumped off. The writing of this book must have taken a lot of research and it shows the discription of places, equipments, tactics and unit organisation is so detailed throughout the 5 books that one would assume that the writer had spent as much time in reference books as he did writing them - the only downside I feel is that the series is finished. I am looking forward to upcoming books from Mr Farman LT Shaw USMC and 54 degrees North (which i have heard are in the pipeline). I have already lent my copy of Stand To to a work colleague and will be ensuring I get back so that in the future I can read the series again.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse