TOP 500 REVIEWERon 25 September 2013
This is not my usual choice of reading but I was enlightened by it's content and theme. The basic premise is a man given the chance to redeem himself his life within the context of his brain tumour. Fantasy or not this a second chance to reflect on his previous existence. This is not in the film category of 'It's a Wonderful Life' nor 'A Matter Of Life or Death', this is an in depth introspection of life before death and that is surely the crux of the book. I have always believed that life is a one innings game of cricket. No second innings on earth. Here Tony has a chance to change destiny.

Deeply intriguing and asking many questions of belief. I stand with my own beliefs. It reads alone as a novel but as with 'The Shack', it reinforces or alters thoughts. Fabulous and entertaining. Not one for a casual read, perhaps, but as bite at a time thoughtful encounter.
on 12 May 2017
Very difficult to get into ... after a month I have still only read 9% ... difficult reading with far too much detail ... needs editing to make it readable ... disappointing ... bought by accident then thought I'd keep it as I Ioved The Shack but wish I'd returned it straight away.
on 2 October 2013
Having read The Shack by this author some years ago (and having re-read it twice since then) I was interested to learn that another of his books had been published. I have read it in a matter of two days (in amongst other everyday commitments), and was moved and impressed by the storyline and the concept of the book. Although not agreeing with every idea, the story was interesting and thought-provoking - the inclusion of a favourite author of mine was a bonus, and I liked the clever nods towards his works! What comes across more than anything is the fact that God loves us, and will do His utmost to lead us gently to Himself, whatever state our lives are in. The character of Cabby was cleverly put across - based, as Mr. Young states in his acknowledgments, on the son of some friends - and shows that, in spite of his disability, Cabby is actually one of the most perceptive of the characters in the story. All-round good read, gripping and moving as well as spiritually stimulating.
on 10 August 2013
I was slightly skeptical that this would be any good after such a great book as the Shack. It is certainly not as gripping as the Shack but at the same time is compulsive reading. i guess its allegorical in concept but there is a real christian message in there and one we should all take on board! The characters were a bit woolly with Jesus popping up now and then in all sorts of fanciful places but even so he was so credible and likable that it wasnt a problem. It was a fitting end and one that was easily acceptable and perfectly right in the circumstances - say no more!!
I cant imagine how he could follow this book without doing something completely different.
on 17 February 2013
Having read "The Shack" I had expectations for this book and infact prefered it. It is an easy read and thought provoking. Anyone who ponders what comes after death will enjoy checking it out.
I purchased the Kindle version, just because the equipment was a gift and I feel obliged to use it. Personally, being unable to spend time away from home and thus not needing quantities of easily portable reading material, I'd have prefered a book but the e-version is just as acceptable from the content position. I intend to do "The shack re-visited"
4 stars are just because I have read books I enjoyed more
on 7 December 2016
I thought this was a follow on from The Shack, but obviously misunderstood. Took a while getting into it and in fact had to reread the first 20 pages or so to get my head straight. Enjoying it now.
on 14 May 2013
I've not read The Shack, but I thought this was terrific. A selfish businessman wakes up in the land of his soul where his life begins to unravel as he meets different characters purporting to be of God. It's later (and I won't give too much away) that the novel really takes off with some funny and insightful moments.

The author paints such a vivid picture of the life of the soul and its make up that I couldn't help hoping some of it's true! He reveals a loving and compassionate God and broken but beautiful people.

Highly recommended.
on 25 March 2018
Well worth reading. It may perhaps be a little more contrived in its plot than 'The Shack', but expands that books insights in a very imaginative way and does its own transforming work.
on 6 February 2013
To be honest, I was a little disappointed in 'Cross Roads'. In a way it was fascinating and gripping but I kept hoping we would meet God with some of the warmth of the insights we had been given in 'Papa' of The Shack, and I found Jesus also a slightly a enigmatic figure (though the Holy Spirit was certainly around a great deal with her wisdom, guidance and support). I should not, I think, have come to it with any preconceived expectations, but after 'The Shack' which was so deeply moving, I couldn't wait to get it and read it. I have now passed it on to a retired Bishop and will be interested to hear his comments, not having told him any of my impressions. Cross Roads gave a lot of food for thought, but the descriptions of the landscapes and being lost in unknown territory were rather too akin to the stuff of my nightmares. I think perhaps I was not meant to be comforted! It was after all describing the honing that we will all have to experience before we can glimpse a vision of God.

Meg Evening
on 6 October 2013
Like it's predecessor the Shack this book was a wonderful read. A thought provocing outing. It goes beyond the facade and teaches us we should never judge a person without knowing the whole story. It has many things to teach and I found the concept unique. The book was something I could get lost in, longing to know the outcome yet not wanting the story to end. It is a refreshing change to read such a novel. It surpasses some of the rubbish that makes the book shelves.