TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 21 February 2012
A friend at work has been trying to get me into cross-stitch and after a long search for cross-stitch kits that I like, didn't look too difficult and I could afford, I came across a kit for crewel embroidery. After researching more into the subject (including watching video's on YouTube) I came upon the theory that because it is a type of freestyle (you draw or iron on your own patterns and can stitch how you like in whatever colour you wish), it is easier to do than cross-stitch and the results are better (ie no jagged edges).

The book covers everything from fabric, needles, threads, frames, hoops etc to designing your patterns and doing the stitches, giving examples of 39 different stitches you can use to outline and fill the patterns. It is spiral bound, so it will lay open on the sofa while you stitch. Short of having Jacqui Mcdonald sat across from you as you work, I don't think you could do better that buy this book.

I would also recommend The Embroidery Stitch Bible which has an illustration and how to do guide for every stitch you will ever need (over 200), which you can use around the edge of your work and a Easy Clip Tapestry Frame - 9" x 6" because a hoop can crease the linen.
on 14 March 2014
Fabulous!
I f you are new to crewel embroidery or want to improve your range and accuracy of stitching, this is the book for you.
This little book is perfect in every way.
With my first ever piece of crewel work, this book has enabled me to, master all the stitches in the book. I was amazed at how quickly I was able to execute the stitches with accuracy and confidence.
1. written by the most expert in crewel work in the country
2. the instructions are precise , concise, perfectly executed
3. beautifully illustrated
4. bound on a spiral ring with hard cover, so that the page you require will stay open and flat, while you refer to it as you work
5. It takes you through design. I for one will never buy another iron on pattern.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 28 October 2016
I love the look of crewel embroideries, particularly the Jacobean period pieces found in museums. I embroider and have long wanted to learn more about doing my own crewelwork - but I can't use wools nor can anyone in my family, we're all of us allergic and just touching the stuff causes us to break out in a terrible itchy rash. I thought I'd have to restrict myself to only viewing crewelwork on display but something I read on an embroidery blog inspired me to go ahead and learn traditional crewelwork using cotton and silk threads instead of wool - this book has been a perfect launching resource and I am very pleased with my purchase.

The book is spiral bound which makes following the outstanding step-by-step photos and text for stitches extremely easy; the authoress gives invaluable tips, hints, and while there are no patterns included in the book, she gives instruction on finding and tracing off (she uses the pounce method, not my fav as I prefer to use a light-box and tracing pencil but the information on pounce transferring is very well presented and gave me some ideas on other methods). No one stand-out section as the entire book is perfect for newcomers to this form of embroidery - everything needed from history through supplies, tools (including frames and how to use them for perfect stitching tension), colours, needles...BONUS for me is I already own most of the supplies and tools recommended as will most other embroiderer-crafters taking up the fine art of crewelwork.
on 18 October 2012
Firstly, I couldn't believe how quickly the book arrived. Secondly what a charming and inspirational book. It was perfect with the spiral bind so the pages can stay open whilst you are working. I really enjoyed the pictures, the colours it was a pleasure to read. I should imagine even if you had never concerned yourself with any Crewelwork before, upon reading this book you would think "I might give this a try". The only criticsm is that I wish it had been available years ago !!
on 22 March 2017
Another hit in this series from RSN ,
on 17 March 2014
An excellent book. Clear, straightforward instructions, for beginner or expert alike. Beautifully illustrated. The spiral binding enables it be 'open' whilst stitching is in progress, therefore allowing the embroiderer to follow easily.
on 18 February 2012
As the title suggests, I have found this an 'essential' stitch guide. The clear illustrations are easy to follow and as a beginner, I have referred to this book regularly to perfect my stitching. With the author's links to the RSN, I am confident I am learning from the best!
on 28 June 2013
This has been my first book on Crewel work. It is clearly illustrated and a very good book to start of with. It is part of a series of books from the Royal School of Needlework. I feel it has given me enough to now start doing some crewel work!
on 29 September 2013
a very useful book to have for reference and many ideas and projects to help design and learn the skill
on 17 November 2012
The RSN books are all amazing. They contain full, detailed, clear instructions on how to execute the stitches with fantastic illustrations of their amazing work. The books are also designed to open flat and stay put so that you can still see the instructions while you have both hands occupied with the embroidery. If you can't afford one of their courses, their books are the next best thing. I shall soon have full set.